Problems with Motivation HELP!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Groovin_Joe, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Recently I find myself in a 'rut' of sorts. I don't seem to have fun playing or practicing. I keep learning new songs, and continue to improve my technique but I find that I still can't do what I want to be able to do. Nor can I play things that I hear in my head.

I am not playing with a permanent band, just sometimes jamming with guys(and gals, not to be prejudice). I think that playing with people more would help this problem that I have found myself in. I don't seem to know if what I am learning is what I will use/need.

Any suggestions/comments?

-Trying to get the groove back. :crying: :help:
  2. Hey!
    I was in a situation like that 3 months ago...
    I think you sould start moving.
    Find yourself a Guitar player, a Drummer and a singer. Start writing songs.
    Playing covers is fine, but your songs are better(well... not always... but...)
    So, I think you should move!
    Well, thats what help me to escape from there... ;)

Good Luck!

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    When I want some motivation I watch a bass video like Voctor Wooten or Jaco. Thats all I usually need to get me going.
  4. Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within

has anyone read it? i am going to get it. it sounds like something that would be a good thing.

I have the Victor Wooten Bass day DVD and that doesn't normally help. I start watching and just feel like I am really bad then. I have been playing for about 4 years both upright and electric.

Got to find me a band!!!
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If it is within your means, get a teacher. Even if only for 90 days or so. Just the interaction is worth the effort. What you actually learn is gravy.

You really need to focus on theory and structure rather than simply learning songs if you really want to be able to make what is in your head come out of the speaker cabinet.

If you currently have a teacher, get another one.
  6. All these things are great. Christmas is comming up and one aunt always buys books. So i will ask for Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within. From what i have read here it sounds like something that would be great.

chasarms - Sadly I am also a College student with no money!!! :( I have been learning lots and lots of theory! Jazz, Blues, Classical, Rock, scales, modes,chords. Also techniques; slap, funk; both finger and slap, tapping, , using more than 2 fingers to pluck, reading better, ear training, metre training, pick use... Yes on the side i have been learning songs. I will hear a song on the radio or on MTV and think "i wonder" and learn it. I don't necessarily remember it the next day but I do it just to ear train and listen.

I love this, being able to ask thousands and thousands of people a question at the same time. what a great thing we all have here, the wealth of knowledge and such.

- Adam