Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems with my Aguilar OBP-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jive1, May 24, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have an Aguilar OBP-3 that I had as an outboard unit, and it worked fine. Yesterday, I decided to install it into a bass. After everything was connected, and installed it had problems.

When the midrange pot, or treble pot is moved away from center I get a loud hissing noise. It's a steady hiss, similar to the sound of the TV when it is not receiving a channel. Everything is connected properly, and I checked and double checked. The jack is fine, as well as the volume pot and pickups. When the preamp is bypassed, everything works fine.

Any ideas?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

sounds weird. A bit lame to mention I suppose but I guess you checked the onboard version against the Aggie diagram, running it outboard requires a different wiring scheme to handle two jacks. If it worked fine as an outboard, then that essentially demonstrates the preamp is fine and the wiring is amiss given the same pots were transfered to the bass.

3. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The change from outboard to on-board was minimal, and I actually rewired the thing again and double checked against the wiring diagram from Aguilar.

Aguilar tech support thinks it's a damaged pot, so I'll check when I get some new ones.

4. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I encountered the exact same issue with an OBP-3 that was installed in my Bee Bass.

In my case, no changes had been made in the bass in any manner.

I ultimately had the preamp replaced with a custom Bee Pre.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Yeh it's only swapping a couple wires. You can check the pots with a meter. If you soldered ground wires to the pot backs in the transfer that could have damaged a pot. You have to get the pots pretty hot to get a decent ground.

In fact I started running shielding strips between pots on the floor of the control bay to eliminate ground wires, having to solder them, and potential damage to the pots. And some pots like blends, there's no decent place to solder to.

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    That's what it must be. I replaced the pots, and it stopped making the noise. Now I'm gonna have to shell out $20 for a stacked 50K pot.

7. kavallar

kavallar

Aug 2, 2010
    Hey Jive1,

did you solve your issue with OBP-3? I am having a very similar problem - if the Mid or blend are not centered, a noise mixed with FM station appears. :confused:

I am trying to do grounding again for the 3rd time, but I think that it won´t work.

Regards,

8. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Zombie thread. Replace the pots!

9. bigbabasilo

bigbabasilo

Jul 16, 2011
    I am having the same problem. I dropped my modulus q5 with bartolini and OBP-3 pre at the local repair guy last week. I was having popping/hissing problem when I used the treble knob on my stacked pot. I had the guy replace the stacked pot. Now the problem is even worse. Even when I turn the Trebel DOWN from center I get the same noise.And now when I turn the mid pot up I get the same noise, which before the repair I wasn't getting off of that pot. Bad preamp? Have him replace the mid pot? Frustrating because I brought the bass there with 4 brand new pots and he said the pots didn't need time replaced, and the "little" noise he's getting is from the preamp and he can't fix that. It's a ton of hissing/crackling. Not something I can ignore.

Any thoughts? Bad preamp? Bad wiring job on new pot? Replace the miss pot and see?

10. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    you should try EMG for a stacked 50K pot. Most of their active pots are rated at 50K, just see if they have a stacked one.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

He solved the issue in 2005. I'd be surprised if he even still owned the bass.

12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:...that's what I get for not looking closely...thanks lol