1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by grenfryth, Feb 27, 2013.

1. grenfryth

grenfryth

Feb 27, 2013
    Hello all,
    I have some problems and I'd very much like to hear how you tackled this kinds of problems or possible solutions.

Well first is my musical ear, i'm kinda tone def or so to say. so how to start with this. in this area im really not good, can't even sing one note correctly or something like that.

Second one is speed. No matter how hard i try i cannot seem to pass a certain obsticale that is 80 bpm in 16th notes. I have read the studies about 380 words per minute to be the maximum our brain can comprehend. that's somewhere round 80 bpm or so.
    But if i don't count then i lose the rhythm.

So how did you tackle those two problems? :)

Thanks in advance,
    and sorry for my poor english.

2. Frost.Blast

Frost.Blast

Mar 22, 2008
    For the tone part, I'm not the right guy.

For the rythm part though, I think I may have a tip. If you really keep on counting each and every beat, you'll obviously never be able to gain much speed. The point is to feel the amount of 16th and only count 1 out of 4. Try nodding your head or slapping your lap only on the 1st beat of each group of 4 16ths. That means, when in 4/4, you'll mark 4 beats per measure. Start this at low speeds and your brain will eventually know how 4 16ths are supposed to feel as they "flow by" along the rhythm.

Easiest way to do this, I think, would be to get a good metronome, one that will have an option to mark the 4ths as a louder beat and every 16th as a softer beat. Then just listen to the thing beating away for like 10-15 minutes every day, raising the tempo when you feel you definitely grasp each group of 4 16ths. Also try to apply it to the music you listen to. Eventually, you brain will simply understand that a 4/4 all in 16ths is supposed to feel like "TAtatataTAtatataTAtatataTAtatata." You won't even have to count, you'll just feel and know if it's right or not.

3. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Jul 2, 2012
    Canada
    Learn your scales on every part of that neck that you can. Eventually you'll get used to the sound of each note. Learn triads as early as you can too, "Spelling out" triads will really help with tone recognition.

4. grenfryth

grenfryth

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for both replies.

Em, the problem is, i can recognise intervals, as in perfect third, minor third, fifth, ... i just cannot sing the notes or combine the right ones together to make a nice sounding passage or a line. also i know all my major, minor, pentatonic scales, and am also starting to read in about the modes.