ProCo Juggernaut

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by protoz, Feb 16, 2005.

1. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I haven't heard much about this pedal and can't find much in search so I'd figure I'd make a new topic.

Does anyone have on of these? Are they any better than the regular Rat?

I can pick up a regular rat for $50 and get it modded but I'd like to know what this is like first.

Seems like I can't spell the word right, after I did I got 3 pages. Ah well...
  2. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I've heard of these having the input and output jacks mislabled. Other than that, I don't know... might be a good pedal, but OTO....
  3. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Peace of ****e. I tested it on friday. Couldn't dial anything usefull out of that thing. In addition, the batteryhousing has a major designfailure. You can't fit the 9V into it's slot because the lid wont close then. You have to chuck the battery inside the box, where it'll bounce around like Oprah inside a cementmill.

4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I have not heard anything possitive about it. Probobly better off getting a Rat.
  5. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I actually bought one when they first came out. The first one I had was awful. The second one I received was reasonable, but still not able to get that awesome RAT sound we're all familiar with.
  6. irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    has too much gas
    hmm, ok, tried to find a post that wasn't too old. lol. before i get the zombie hunters out for me!

tried the juggernaut today. what do you guys think bout it? and is the Rat more versatile than it? felt the juggernaut was pretty one dimensional
  7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Theres also the Keeley modified Rat
  8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My experience with the Keeley-modded Rat was not satisfying. Even though it is supposedly modded for more low end, the low end suckage was still so much that it was unusable for me.
  9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Among Larry Grahams many other talents, he seems to be the only person capable of getting a good sound out of the Juggernaut. Like I'm sure many before me, I saw this video and went out and tried one, hoping for a great tone.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The urban legend is that Larry went through a stack of Juggernauts before finally finding one that sounded good.
  11. irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    has too much gas
    ok, i should be turned off by it by now =p
  12. irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    has too much gas
    was trying to see his settings. but no avail. lol. oh well, just more reasons to try more stuff
  13. This has probably been posted before. One handed bass player Bill Clements and the juggernaut.

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I recommend the Proco Turbo Rat. Much better suited for bass than the other current Rat 2.
  15. ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    turbo rat is pretty decent but i'd still try before you buy. I bought it for bass and wound up keeping it to use on guitar. I just wasn't able to get a great sound out of it in a live setting... and then one day i was tracking some bass parts and none of my (at-that-time) go to effects (dod 250, boss super overdrive, tubescreamer) were working to get the distortion tone I wanted... just happened to have the turbo rat in my bag, plugged her in and it was bliss, if only for that recording. That one day of recording ensured that I'll never sell the pedal though.