ProCo Rat

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mulooga, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mulooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Hola fellow bass dudes, this probably should go in the distortio thread, but i really didnt find much helpful there. I recently bought a Rat. The pedal is great, I love the distortion it delivers, but my problem is the pedal robs me of all of my low end. Does anyone have suggestion on how get my lows back when using this pedal or is there a pedal with a similar flavor of distortion that wont kill my tone? thanks for any advice.

l8r on :D
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You need to run two channels, one totally clean, the other with distortion. You can either run two amps, get a small cheap mixer or something similar, but that's about the only way to do it. Alternately, you can send it to and let him modify it to have more bass response.
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Send it to Robert Keeley.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You could send it to Keeley for his famous modification. Other than that, you can check out and get a one loooper with blend option to retain bottom end.

If I had my notes with me, I could help you exactly. I did a few small cap mods inside my old rat and it helped tremendously, noticed almost no bass loss. But that's just me.
  5. mulooga

Jun 30, 2004
    thanx everyone, i think keeley is the way to go
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Was it the rat you gave me? Because I did notice a low cut. I'm going to look into a loooper or something because I need to blend fo sho. It's an amazing sounding distortion though.
  7. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    ProCo makes a bass distortion pedal too, it's called the Juggernaut.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nah, I think you got the other one. I had about three at one point or another.

You'd know if you got the one I'm talking about ;)
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wish it were that easy, most of us love the RAT tone better :smug:
  10. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I have the rack mount dual ratt. It doesn't suck lows if you turn the volume up to where there is no apparent bottom drop when you kick it in - then add distortion to taste.
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I was not impressed with the juggernaut at all
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just wish they still made them :crying:

Nothing sexier than a rack full of distortion units.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm sure his famous mod costs quite a bit, right?
  14. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Hallo guys...
    I think it's better not to open a new thread just for this stupid noob question...
    Could somebody tell me the differences between the "originale" RAT (the "vintage" one, don't know how to call it) and the (newer?) RAT II?