Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Program to "rip" MP3's to my computer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 24, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Are there any good programs that will let me quickly convert a CD to MP3 files on my computer? My old machine had Audiocatalyst, but I don't have the program anymore.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I use CDex. Don't know if it's good or not. Wouldn't know a good one from a bad one, but it get's the job done.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Heck yes. CDex ROCKS. Best one I've found. MusicMatch jukebox (standard on Dell comps) is pretty good as well.

5. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks. The Musicmatch program came with my new iPod. I didn't realize it would let me covert CDs to MP3s on my hard drive as well as the iPod. :rolleyes:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    of course the best program for mp3(and various other formats) ripping and playing, is iTunes.

which is coming to windows soon.

7. I've had the best results using EAC (www.exactaudiocopy.de) for ripping to .wav and then using LAME (don't have a link handy) to encode to mp3. These days I rip to .wav and use Monkey's Audio lossless compression since I've got the hard drive space to burn. If you go this route (EAC + LAME), there are plenty of sites out there with information on getting everything set up.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Who'd you used to be, Dave? I've seen that avatar somewhere before, but can't remember your alter-ego:D

On topic--
    I've used and liked EAC as well, but I didn't like it quite as much as CDex. Both are good programs that will get the job done:)

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    EAC is an amazing piece of software

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    EAC + LAME is where to be

Link is a collection of tutorials and links to the free downloads.

Personally I love that EAC is "Postcardware" the writter just asks that you send him a local interest postcard :D How cool is that!

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's good. Really good.

I use EAC and CDex and CDex is better. It has LAME built-in so that saves you steps to get the best sounding MP3s.

13. Hey, sorry about the late reply. I've been busy with studying and all that (I love abstract algebra)... but I digress. I used to go by "Da5id HeX" on here, but I decided to go ahead and lose the "elite kiddie" name. I think my avatar really points out the fact that I'm a math geek -- a label I'm totally comfortable with. :D

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Yes! I couldn't remember. Good to see you in your "real" form, Dave:D

15. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    please.... no... say it aint so!

Why can't Apple keep iTunes special for macs!!!!

well, i at least hope that a windows user has to pay for the windows version.......

Slicks

::::Written on a mac :bassist: ;) ::::::