Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Program to slow down songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jongor, Aug 3, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I need some sort of freeware program to slow down mp3's or cd's.

My 15 year old son plays guitar and is trying to cop solos, really fast solos....

Anyone know of anything out there?

thanks

2. I heard someone talking about how great he Amazing Slower Downer is... might want to check that out.

3. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
  4. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    Another vote for the Amazing Slow Downer. I love this app.

Not only can you slow the tune/section down without changing the pitch, but can you change the key. Also, I like the interface for setting up loops to repeat over a section.

Nice app for little $.

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
  6. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    another vote for transcribe. You get the free trial for a month I believe. I was so happy with it, I bought it the day the trial ended - purchase price is $50. I use it almost every day.

It will slow down (or speed up) without changing pitch, change keys, loop sections of songs, analyze bits of songs for specific notes (very helpful with some tricky stuff I occasionally come across).

7. Yet another vote for Transcribe. I too paid for it when the free trial ended--and that should speak volumes about the quality of the software, 'cause I'm a cheap SOB and I don't spend money often. :cool:

8. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    how about some hardware

tascam bass trainer mk ii

speeds up and slows down cd without changing pitch and works real nice as a headphone pratice amp

they can be had for $150 ish on ebay

I enjoy mine

9. Transcribe is great, I just d/led it

10. I use plugins for winamp - Pacemaker and Loopmaster - both freeware.
    Pacemaker 1.32 is totally free - later versions are limited shareware.

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've never used the feature in it, but the Freeware multi-track mixer, Audacity supports that I believe.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Good luck and Have Fun!

12. +1
    They are both awesome, I wonder why I couldn't find them before, if only you could minimize them (they cover half of the screen when you are running those plug-ins and it's sometimes difficult to see other things e.g. your directory, the tab file, word pad etc.)

13. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    +1 for transcribe, I bought it, and use it a lot

14. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    +1 for audacity...

i've used pro-level tools and i am AMAZED at the capabilities of this very free tool. therre are tons of filters included as well, so you can do all sorts of audio editing. the speed control is awesome, as is the ability to change pitches. i really can't recommend this enough!

15. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    If you want something smaller than Pacemaker and Loopmaster, try Slow Me Down. One narrow little window with two vertical sliders -- one for pitch adjustment, one for tempo adjustment -- plus two check boxes (enable/disable and mono/stereo). Not the cleanest pitch/tempo shift I've ever heard, but it's small, light, free, and works plenty fine for picking up fast lines or tuning an off-pitch recording to match your bass.

'Rick

16. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    windows media player has a speed adjustment thing that allows you to slow down songs, like even painstakingley slow if you want.

17. tharrison72

tharrison72

Jul 30, 2005
    Nashville
    are you living your dream....or dreaming of living...

18. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    That'll work for anyone with current software. I think the speed-shift feature only showed up around Media Player 9 or so. (Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Not sure if you can load the newer Media Players on older editions of Windows. Winamp is still an option for folks with older O/Ses (I know a guy who is still running Win95!)

But what's coming out in this thread is that there are lots of ways to go about it. Love to see the sharing of info! :)

'rick

19. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Media Player 10 has a feature to slow down or speed up mp3 files. I tkink it works best if you convert the mp3 to WAV format.