1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Progressive Head/Pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ifrit84, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I'm sick of guitarists having cheap tone shaping options. All the Bass Heads/pre's I hear are the same. Why can't they make more steps FORWARD instead of BACKWARDS? I understand vintage tone and all, but come on! There is NO evolution these days as far as new gear in the Bass Gear area.

Does anyone know of any makers/heads/pre's that let you do more tone shaping than most? I'm looking for something more modern. Thanks.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Peavey Pro500 has a LOT of EQ. Or the discontinued Peavey Max preamp has many options.

Or how about the V-Bass plugged into the power amp of your choice?

Alex

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The slew of modelers out there don't satisfy you? V-amp, GT-6B, Bass POD, etc? The Roland V-Bass system maybe?

Or are you talking strictly tone controls? Multiple band parametrics aren't enough (iAmp, Eden, Mesa, etc.) ?

Which guitar systems are you referencing ?

4. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Well, sorry for confusing you. Mod'ers sound to fake for my taste, I guess i'm just looking for something i can "bend" a little more with. I was only saying that guitar gear has come along way with effects/shaping/heads, more so then Bass Heads. I guess what i'm looking for as a good pre. I'm just looking to dail in the right amount of each freq', but it seems a modern 7band doesn't cover enough ground for me, maybe add a parametric eq?

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    No worries, just trying to see what you're getting at. I'm a big fan of parametrics. My iAmp has a four band semi-parametric, plus some preset contours. The other amps I mentioned above have similar EQ as well. If something like that's not enough, I (hint, hint) see a nice parametric EQ for sale on the new classified beta section on Talkbass... :cool:

7. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003

How about the DB 680 from Aguilar? Two fully parametric eq's and lots of other features.