Progressive Head/Pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ifrit84, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I'm sick of guitarists having cheap tone shaping options. All the Bass Heads/pre's I hear are the same. Why can't they make more steps FORWARD instead of BACKWARDS? I understand vintage tone and all, but come on! There is NO evolution these days as far as new gear in the Bass Gear area.

Does anyone know of any makers/heads/pre's that let you do more tone shaping than most? I'm looking for something more modern. Thanks.
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Peavey Pro500 has a LOT of EQ. Or the discontinued Peavey Max preamp has many options.

Or how about the V-Bass plugged into the power amp of your choice?

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The slew of modelers out there don't satisfy you? V-amp, GT-6B, Bass POD, etc? The Roland V-Bass system maybe?

Or are you talking strictly tone controls? Multiple band parametrics aren't enough (iAmp, Eden, Mesa, etc.) ?

Which guitar systems are you referencing ?
  4. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Well, sorry for confusing you. Mod'ers sound to fake for my taste, I guess i'm just looking for something i can "bend" a little more with. I was only saying that guitar gear has come along way with effects/shaping/heads, more so then Bass Heads. I guess what i'm looking for as a good pre. I'm just looking to dail in the right amount of each freq', but it seems a modern 7band doesn't cover enough ground for me, maybe add a parametric eq?
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

No worries, just trying to see what you're getting at. I'm a big fan of parametrics. My iAmp has a four band semi-parametric, plus some preset contours. The other amps I mentioned above have similar EQ as well. If something like that's not enough, I (hint, hint) see a nice parametric EQ for sale on the new classified beta section on Talkbass... :cool:
  7. billys73

Apr 25, 2003

How about the DB 680 from Aguilar? Two fully parametric eq's and lots of other features.