Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by northernbright, Jan 20, 2005.

1. northernbright

northernbright

Jan 20, 2005
    Seattle
    This is my first post; I've read for a couple of weeks and decided to get into the mix.

I'm currently building a P from parts I’ve traded for, bought etc. and I've gotten everything I need short of the pups.
    The body is maple and the neck is maple. I'm afraid that the sound will be too bright for my tastes. I'm not a rocker; I play a little jazz, R&B and some Christian praise music.

If you can recommend some pups that would suite my style I would be very grateful. My budget is around 80 dollars.

I was looking at bassline quarter pounders, dimarzio split p's and fender '62 reissues. I'm open to any suggestions, just looking for someone who can point me in the right direction.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. I have QPs in a bright, ash body P. Like you, I use this bass in a praise band setting. These work for me, but it's taken a lot of tweaking on my part (stubborness, I guess). They tend to have sort of a scooped sound, emphasizing treble and bass. They can be downright harsh sounding with roundwounds. I use mine with flats, and I've wired a 1M resistor onto the volume pot to take the some of the highs right off the top. Myself I do like the scooped mids and deep bass on my P, which is why I guess I've stuck with them so far.

I've read here that the Bart 8s tends to be warm without being boomy, which may be a good counter to the maple body. However, the scuttlebutt tends to be that the output of the 8s and most Barts is too low to use without a preamp. Another pup to check out might be Seymour Duncan SPB-2. Haven't used this one personally, but the general take seems to be that they have tons of bass, but very high output as well.

4. northernbright

northernbright

Jan 20, 2005
    Seattle
    Ivar, I did read that thread, but my question relates more towards getting the right sound out of a bass with both maple neck and body. That has not been directly discussed in dimento's thread.

Thank you MC, i was thinking about the SPB-3's, but i was afraid of exactly what you're talking about... it seems like i would be getting the lows that i wanted while sacrificing everything else...