Proper Slap Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HunsBassist, Apr 5, 2005.

1. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I have been playing bass for a little more than a year and a half. My Dad taught me the basics and my brother/guitarist who used to play has given me some pointers but other than that, I have pretty much taught myself. I have never had any actual formal training. Recently, Slap/Pop technique has peaked my interest. I experimented through trial and error and watching others and finally got a decent slap/pop method going. My one problem is, I'm having trouble getting a clear, audible tone from my slapping, especially on the higher strings. So I end up slapping up on the neck. This works for some cases but for the most part, I'm having trouble getting back off the fretboard fast enough to pop notes. Is this an error in technique? If so, how can I rectify this situation?

2. If you have trouble on the high strings, why not lower the action? Also, it is ideal to slap by slapping a string (usually the lower strings) and when you bring your slapping hand up, perform a pop. This gives you slap and pop in one motion. I hope that's what you were asking! :meh:
  3. Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    What slapping technique are you using? does your thumb bounce of the string or does it go 'through' the string? I've used both techniques and found that the through the string techniques gives me a much clearer tone with equal volume between all strings.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The "through the string" technique is definately better for getting a clear tone on the higher strings from my experience, and that's how I was taught. You get a little more grip on the string that way.
  5. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I didn't know you could slap through the string. I'll figure it out. This would be so much easier if I had a teacher!