pros and cons of stacked jazz knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkaarrll, May 7, 2017.

1. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

You are completely ignoring the fact that there is a set screw that holds the knobs in place, both rotationally and vertically. You're insisting that because the knobs don't automatically seat themselves to what you consider to be the perfect height by virtue of the bore hole depth, that this is a design "flaw" that needs correcting and is thus a "problem".

The misinformation is that there is no problem, despite your insisting that there is. The knobs are height adjustable. They are meant to be that way. Many parts on guitars are meant to be adjustable. Everything I've said is 100% factual, and can be observed with the naked eye.

Yes, everyone is entitled to express their opinion, informed or not. However, an expressed misinformed opinion is by default spreading misinformation. We've all done it, but some of us are big enough to admit when we've stepped over the line.

Btw, who exactly is "we"? I suspect you're pretty much alone here. Most folks know how to work the rudimentary provided adjustment features on their guitars. I'd hate to think otherwise and it doesn't help if folks go away from a thread thinking they have a nonexistent "problem" to consider.

2. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    I did not ignore any such thing. In fact I said the set screws are most effective fixing the knobs rotationally, not so much vertically. Go back a read again.

Your claims here also contradict.

Again, my informed opinion isn't misinformation.

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Let me rephrase that (not that it should need rephrasing).

"You are completely ignoring the fact that there is a set screw that more than adequately holds the knobs in place, both rotationally and vertically."

But you know perfectly well what was meant, and are resorting to semantics. Is there any reason to continue with this? It's apparent that you're immune to reason and physical evidence so what's the point?

4. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Now you're quoting yourself with a revision after the fact? You're projecting, too. You're too much.

Again, I wasn't ignoring what the set screws do. Nice try, but you're simply being dishonest.

Anyway, what you say, this time, is "more than adequate" is your subjective opinion.

There's ZERO reason to not to machine the blind hole depth into the volume knob 2 or 3 mm shallower in order to make it impossible for the volume knob to drop low enough on CTS 250K/500K concentric solid shaft pots to resultantly bottom out on the tone knob underneath, independent of how tight the set screw may be.

Besides all that, what I'm immune to is your inane and dishonest arguments.

Get lost.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... i'm digging my stacked knob Jazz Basses ...
    IMG_3617.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg

Jinobass1 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021