1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

protecting Acoustic Image amps

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassdogEmer, Apr 29, 2006.

1. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    I just bought a AI clarus series 3 - great little piece. My question is how do you all care for these little amps? The case that AI sent me for it is a cheap little padded bag - not much protection at all. This amp doesn't seem like it can really be mounted in to a rack. So, what do you all do?? what have you figured out? Is there some secret comapny that makes special cases for these? Can you indeed mount it into a hard rack etc?? Start AI advice bombardment .....now

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I carry mine in the padded bag, which gets crammed inside the legs of my upturned gig stool after each gig. No problems after several years.

3. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    Thanks Chris - Do you know of any road type of cases though?? I am leaving for Europe in a few weeks and worried in general about only having this AI bag...
    Is the bag you have the one that came from AI??

4. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Man, I wish my Series 3 Coda would come soon. :crying:

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, it's the bag from AI. Rick Jones just told me a few days ago to simply ship my Focus by putting the amp in the padded bag and the small cardboard box it came in, no other padding needed. I'm sure you could find a padded case for it, but why not just carry it on? If I were checking one, I'd probably just put it in my suitcase.

Or if not that, I bet you could buy a small briefcase for gigging that would hold the amp and a bunch of cables and stuff.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I don't have a series III but I took my Focus with me to Aruba in my carry on, which is the beauty of this little amp and I'm glad that I did because the head I was supposed to play out of was so bogus.

7. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good call - one of those briefcase-sized flight cases would be great for that, and would stack on a cart on top of the cabinet(s) perfectly.

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I just carry my focus on the plane with me in its padded bad. Fits right under the seat in front of me.

9. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
  10. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    As a Pelican user in my profession, I have to ask... does it make sense to put a 6 lb amp in a 20 lb case? That said, I would check at professional photography shops. Sometimes they carry off brand (and lighter) versions of the Pelican cases. If you are ordering new and like the indestructable weather sealed cases, I would look at Tundra Sea King. You could also check Adorama or B&H photo in NYC or Calumet in Chicago this stuff. I think a better option in to find a closeout or bargain in something like this
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/TE3030/SP.html

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    My Woods is in a Mooradian bag that is carry on ALL the time. And it's gonna stand up better to me carrying it everywhere than luggage guys throwing a heavy rack case around.

12. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    The advantage to the pelican is that it is carry-on sized, and if you travel on smaller, commuter planes where you have to gate check your carry on, and you have a laptop...

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Woods and AI are headed in the OTHER direction - small and portable, rack mounting defeats that purpose. The Woods is considerably smaller than my gilrfriend's back pack and I have NEVER been asked to check it, either in the little Focke Wolf (think corporate jet) that the Delta affiliate flies from NYC to Columbia SC or the little prop job that flies between Charlotte and Augusta (which even though the LET me pay for a seat for my bass put it in the cargo hold. They did let me watch it being loaded standing right next to the guy that put it in. IT was still Not Fun.) And the AI is even smaller than the Woods. I dunno man, do what you want, but I think you're making it a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

14. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    ya'll all must be really bored, to be threading about how to protect a pint sized amp that comes in its own padded carrying case? Course a look at any of my threads might reveal some yawnings too.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Sorry to bother you, maybe you should go see if OPRAH is on or something...

16. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm sure I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be, but my carry on scene is a bit deep. I carry on, in the hardcase: my toiletries, cables, tuner, dtar solstice, power supplies for my ipaq, wireless hub, cellphone charger, and shaver. Then the soft bag has a cd player, sunglasses, crossword puzzles, passport, headphones, a book, and other little stuff. This bag fits under any seat. I also fly with two basses, EUB and BG. The BG goes in a golfcase along with my clothes. Fly every week, around the country and europe. I would love to condense this one day:crying: !
    About Oprah :eyebrow: ...

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Damn, that's a buncha ****! I only have one carry on (which goes overhead), the Woods (with an MD player in the pocket, that goes under my seat) and the bass in a Gage case (inside the cargo hold).

18. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Ed, I am curious to know how travel is these days with the gage case? Nobody I've work with in the last three years wants to pay the travel cost of it, hence the Zeta. Longer trips make me long to get home to my DB...
    When I first went to this thread, I thought it was about electrical protection of AI amps. I've been using an APC Line R 1200. As I find AI very sensitive to voltage, and surges. There's no worse feeling than when you amp blows on the gig.

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    The last time I flew with my bass was well over 3 years ago, but I have carried my Woods as recently as last September (doing the bass du jour thang).