1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Proton's Trek Through The Wide World Of Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Proton Lenny, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    First these arrived...

accugroove_tri112.
    accugroove_tri115.

Then this came...

[​IMG]

And then this came...

[​IMG]

And after way too much money and fun times I have decided to get off my multi-FX and start down the long, dark road of a pedalboard. So after a countless amount of hours of research, it begins...

Just got these in the mail...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have a Spring Chicken and an MXR BOD in the mail right now. I'm waiting on the EBS Stanley Clarke Wah. Once I get those five, I can get rid of my multi. After that, it is all downhill. There are about 10 more effects that will almost surely be purchased. It just might take some time. I'm still trying to figure out what board I want to get. Debating between a Pedaltrain and a NYC. This pedal addiction is truly horrific.

Well Talkbass buds, you haven't let me down yet. But you have given my bank account quite a beating.

Peace,

Proton :D

(I'll keep you updated on the purchases, and once I get a board together, it will be posted in the quite epic "Post Your Pedalboard" thread)

gregmon79 likes this.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Lookie here boys, we got another one! *eerie suboctave banjo music*

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's wrong...truly wrong. And yet I'm doing it. I'm doing it at a way cheaper level than you, though...those ain't cheap pedals. Or a cheap amp. Or cheap cabs. And it damn sure ain't a cheap bass. I'm the poor man's Proton Lenny. I built a pedalboard yesterday out of scrapwood and black spray paint. Looks like it, too!

:bassist:

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Bongo is just trying to scare you.

But seriously, Ritters attract Trolls. And Mods. Neither of which you want lurking over your shoulder.

5. Don't forget to put some impedance buffer before the start of LONG FX chain :p

6. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Actually the impedence buffer is giving me some trouble, because not a single peddle I want so far is buffered, at least to my knowledge, and definitely not one that will go at the front of my chain. They are all true bypass. Can I just by a buffer? I am so illiterate when it comes to electronics. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Proton

Oh and it may have all been expensive gear, but it was worth every penny. ;) Every gig I've played since I got the accugrooves, TF, and Ritter there has been at least one person that has made a comment about how much I cut through the mix, and how heavy and punchy my sound was. Plus I just love the satisfaction of playing handmade stuff. Call me sentimental. :smug:

7. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    JimmyM = Poortron Jimmy :p

Those are some serious gear purchases! Lenny- You could buy a buffer, or you could send the BOD back and get an OC-2 :smug: The pedals you listed are all pretty nice, and at least while you're in the 5-10 tb pedal range you shouldn't need to worry about a buffer. Im listening your band's (Mouth) myspace right now, good stuff- the new gear should fit right with some of those funky tunes :cool:

8. Welcome to the wonderful world of pedal using

Please listen to several clip's a day and visit lots of pedal builders websites for your complementary GAS basket

9. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    You've got nice bass, amp, cabs and pedals. But are you aware thet you also need cables to put this stuff together?

;)

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Welcome to the wonderful sinkhole that is pedal addiction. :smug: Grab a shovel and get to work! ;)

A Tuner that isn't TBP at the beginning of your chain would work. BOSS TU-2 for example, or a Peterson Strobostomp 2 set to tuner monitoring (this is what I use. Tuner is always active, and the switch works as a mute).

11. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Dude your Ritter is my wet dream! NICE! That's gotta be funk heaven with the 00funk and thunderfunk, damn.

Edit: If you wanna se just how much bass your accugroves can put out get a woolly mammoth!

12. I'm guessing that bass is active. If so, you probably wont need a buffered pedal. If you do need one, any Tech21, Boss, Digitech, or DOD pedal will be buffered (with varying results). You could also just pick up an impedance buffer from Barge Concepts.

13. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    They always get you somewhere :scowl:

But seriously, that setup is AWESOME!
    You got to let us know what you think of the Mastrotron.

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Awesome rig dude! I don't suppose you play in a country gig eh? ;)

Ever since I saw a Ritter for the first time, I have wanted to play one. Seeing moe. live in January only made my GAS for a Ritter jump to painful levels.

15. The same thing happened to me. In the past two months I've purchased A Behringer chorus, envelope filter, and limiter/enhancer, a boss overdrive, an artec wah, and an artec eq/chromatic tuner pedal.....christ...when does it end. Although I am doing it the poor mans way for now, I will start saving for some real pedals when I get to Okinawa.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nice work. Say goodbye to your money, and hello to the good times.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    been there done that... I stopped GASing for basses and rigs because I have all I want/need already. Then all the sudden these little addicting boxes caught my ear/eye!

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 An active bass is already buffered. There are some times when a second buffer might be beneficial, but it's not something you'll have to worry about right away.

19. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Thanks for all the compliments and replies guys. Thanks for the comment about my band Fightthepower. We've been playing for about six months or so. Along with all the funk and latin, we actually play a bunch of house, DnB, and Electronica (my drummer is a huge JoJo fan, and so am I). Hence the newfound pedal obsession. It is funny that after the hours and hours of practice I put in, and all the jazz fusion and fancy funk lines I played for so long, I can be so entertained by playing one note, while simultaneously rolling a LPF back and forth with a suboctave and fuzz on. There is nothing like it.

As far as the buffer goes, I don't really want to get a tuner just yet because I plan on buying the pitchfactor in the future, and it has a killer tuner on it (I don't want to spend the money or take up the space with another one right now). So if I have an active bass I shouldn't need a buffer? All this impedence stuff has always confused me. My bass is active/passive, is this a problem? I play it active 80% of the time. However Ritter's are unique in the sense that the active (when the EQ is all flat) and the passive (when the tone knob is rolled all the way up) sound exactly the same. They are the same volume and tone. So does impedence have anything to do with output volume from my bass? I have heard plenty of passive basses that are louder than my bass. Plus there are coil taps on it is as well. My humbuckers are louder than my singles. Does this make a difference? Anyway, I'm ranting. Thanks again, and sorry for my ignorance.

Proton

P.S. The Mastotron is amazing. It is on the more extreme side of fuzzez I would say. By this I mean, you can get a more traditional fuzz out of it, but where it really shines is when you crank up the tone knob, make the wave form as choppy as possible, and then play some wacked up synthy/nintendo goodness. Although I currently have it set somewhere in the middle of fuzz and nintendo goodness. :bassist:

The impedence adjusting knob is great too for dialing the perfect tone for your bass (even though I don't technically know what it is doing :bag:).

20. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Welcome to hell!

But it's o so fun!