1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Provided backline" stories

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by allegro, Oct 30, 2013.

1. What's the best Dynamizer for metal?

Helaskold likes this.
  2. ^^^ thats easy the one on the ultrabass 1200 is the best on the market. Hands down

3. I don't play as many high-falutin' gigs as alot of you, But whenever I've played those gigs that have a provided backline, it has always been crap. Always. Old Rehearsal Studio GK Backline kits with knobs missing, old Crates, a generic 12" or 15" ratfur box, or even worse, beat-to-hell Line 6 combos that never, ever sound good.

Honestly, I think that most people who provide this stuff and don't play bass think that a bass amp is a bass amp is a bass amp, and have little regard for wattage or tone. I always bring my gear and am happy to let other bass players that I know use it. If they bring their gear, chances are that they care about how they sound. If they let me use it and it makes the day go easier, I'm fine with that.

4. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Band members were invited to a neighborhood family party.. the family's son has a HS band and they played for all their friends early in the evening.. Later in the night after much drinking, they asked the band to play.. I had a bass in the car just in case, but had to play through a 50 watt crate with a 110. Ouch.. LOL Wasn't the best we've ever sounded. :)

5. Mike11121

Mike11121

Sep 17, 2007
    Bali
    +1000

I can only think that the OP accidentally forgot to engage the Dynamizer's patented AFC (Anti-Fart Circuitry)!

Helaskold likes this.
  6. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    There were times at small shows and house parties where I have been asked to use crust punk ****** 4x10's and such but my favorite story was when my guitar player insisted I not bring my cab because the club had an 8x10. I made him call his buddy at the club to confirm and they said don't worry about it they have one I can use.

I was lead to believe that because of the number of bands the club actually preferred that we use their cabs so I show up without one thinking that it would be on stage and everyone was planning on using it.

Of course it's not there. All of the other bands are using their custom rigs. No one knew where the cab was and I wasn't about to ask the national touring bands if we could use there's so I asked the bartender, security, sound guys, etc. where it might be.

We found it...buried under everyone else's gear. I had to move all of the headliner's stuff including their tech who was changing strings to get to it while everyone was yelling at me to hurry up because we were running late.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

7. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    And just to add to everyone who has suffered through farty low powered stage rigs...

The biggest insult is when the rest of the band doesn't notice and/or care.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My best backline story is the outdoor festival gig where the promised bass amp wasn't even there and the monitor mix was vocals only.

9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Pfaw!

The best Dyamizer for metal is the Behringer. Matter of fact, it's the only Dynamizer!

The Dynamizer rulz!

Don't leave home without it. And, by god, don't ever forget to engage it at the gig.

10. Mrzonehead

Mrzonehead

Jan 3, 2013
    So last night I did a gig at pretty well known place here in Los Angeles. They sent an info sheet saying they had backline for bass, guitar and drums. So I thought ok how bad could it be?!? When I arrived there was a band on stage playing through a Ampeg 810SVT with matching head! I was stoked. Hearing myself won't be a problem, I thought. So I talked to the FOH and he said no that wasn't it, but they had an Acoustic amp. So again, I thought ok I can make do. Now my normal rig for these type gigs is a TH500 with an Epi T112/T110. Perfect for most all gigs through out LA. So when it came time to do the gig the FOH pulls out an Acoustic 10" practice amp combo! I was completely stunned. He said don't worry we'll run you direct, which if the monitors were ok, meaning, if there was a monitor for the drummer, let's say, it maybe would've been doable...it was a complete and utter nightmare and I had to rip into the guy a little bit about letting people know what they consider back line!! Still kinda shocked that they would even consider calling that backline.

11. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    I've been pretty fortunate with backline. One gig had a Genz Benz 1200 with a GB 6x10 (or maybe it was an 8x10).
    The worst one I ever had was at a little dive bar. They had a no name speaker, which was fine, but I discovered the problem with this cabinet partway through the set. Someone had apparently done some modifying to the cabinet. At some point, the grill had been removed and someone discarded the spacers that go between wood and metal. Hence, the grill was screwed back on and sitting directly against the speaker. Whenever I would hit a low, loud, note, the speaker would smack against the grill producing the ever-dreaded phart sound.

12. dnosewor

dnosewor

Apr 14, 2009
    The moral of the story is to always show up prepared. Never trust anything you're told.

13. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Ain't that the truth.

Every single time. "We've got pro gear". Sure. I'd like to know where they hide the "pro gear" on these back line gigs cuz I've never played the stuff.

It's to the point were we won't play gigs with backlined stuff anymore. Not worth the hassle. I'd rather stay home.

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This applies to PA as well. Nothing worse than advancing the gig being promised say a PM-3500-32 and arriving to find an old 16 chanel Peavey. Hmmm, did they think I wouldn't notice???

15. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Perhaps they were just trying to add a Dynamizer to it?

Helaskold likes this.
  16. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Had a PF-500 and an Ampeg 6X10 provided last gig. Sounded great.

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Whenever I hear that there will be a backline I always make an effort to find out what that exactly means. One time we didn't ask and drove up to a gig 3 hours away. Needless to say, the bass rig was an old Peavey keyboard combo :rollno:

18. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    I'm the same way. Any questions and I bring at least a mimimal cab/amp.

19. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I always bring my own rig just in case. I often walk in and see a 1x15 cabinet (which I can't stand) and a Peavey head (not with my bass!). So, after a polite talk with the soundguy, I often bring in my own 4x10 Eden cabinet and SWR head. 15 inch cabinets sound like blubber!

20. jordan2

jordan2

Apr 2, 2011
    I usually have pretty good luck with provided backlines but there was this one time...

I played at a small cancer fundraiser festival once and we were told specifically not to bring a back line. We showed up to find out that they never ended up getting a back line for the stage we were on because they couldn't find anyone to donate one and they NEVER told bands. Luckily the festival wasn't too far away and we were early and got someone to pick up the bass cab and drumset from our practice space. Needless to say it was not the best experience.