1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PSA: control your humidity!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spade2you, Mar 11, 2019.

1. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Another learning thread for me. I think we all have different experiences in this regard. Different starting-points, different ending-points.

And yes, if I wanted to grow sprouts, I would start gardening!

Speaking of which...

2. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    Y’all need to come down to Charleston. The Humidity Festival cranks up in May and runs through October.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  3. Thumpr

Thumpr Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Rancho Mirage, CA
    Low desert of Socal is usually single digit to teens humidity until Santa Ana’s kick up. I really have no recourse other than care and feeding of finishes. My new (to me) am pro jazz came from Jackson MS and I’ve been watching it closely but the initial setup I did seems to be stable. That said the neck changed quite a bit from where they said it was at and it did need some love. I left it alone for a few days while it acclimated. Wood does not love the desert.

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Depends on the neck. I haven’t had to touch the truss rod on my ATK in 10 years. Solid as a rock.

5. ATK & BTB necks are probably fine, but do you humidify?

My BTB300 had a neck like a Precision & was fine all Winter.

6. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Nope.

7. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Great White North
    All of my basses live in thier case with a humidifier and hygrometer. I keep them @ 49 percent, year round.

8. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I keep a music nomad humidifier and digital gauge in each of my cases. It's been working great.

9. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Can you please share what you use? Does this treatment only work with a hard shell case?

10. Interesting, that explains the white dust that started showing up about a year and a half ago when I switched to an ultrasonic because of the power savings vs conventional type.

bholder likes this.
  11. Off topic but this pretty much sells me on Spector.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  12. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Great White North
    This is how i make them, but only use distilled water. You get used to the amount you wring out/leave in to aquire desired %
    As far as something other than a hard case?...the difference would soley rely on how the “case” holds air/allows in.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  13. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Pass through south Texas for dry to 100% humidity gigs whenever you want.
    Home is kept at 50 to 60% year-round but outdoor gigs are tests of "Which bass wants to be sold for failing to withstand what I have to withstand". A week or so ago we had a rodeo gig outdoors, 41 degrees with a 14 mph wind and about 99% humidity. Epi T-Bird and an early 90's Peavey did fine. The Peavey is so stable after decades that it hardly ever shifts tuning except for string temperature expansion/contraction, the T-Bird acted right after tuning a couple of times even with multi-ply neck-thru.

nbsipics likes this.
  14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Nah... I just let the Mojave Desert do it for me. Humidity here varies from "stupid low" to "very low". Doesn't seem to have harmed any of them much; I've had a couple of them here for...27 years, now. And, a couple of them (hollow body bass and guitar) were here before I was... OTOH, there's no telling what might happen to them if they got moved to, say, Portland, Oregon all of a sudden. They might just swell up and explode...:roflmao:

Thumpr likes this.
  15. Not having any issues but this post has brought up a question. My solid-body bass is made of three different woods all glued together. (Maple, Ovangkol, and Wenge) Do different woods react differently to hi/low humidity or temps? One wood pulling and another wood pushing at the same time? Just curious.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. Yes, & so does the direction of the grain pattern. Think of all the grain of wood as long straws. They dry out from the ends inward & depending on the way the grain lays it will pull in different directions.

17. Thumpr

Thumpr Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Rancho Mirage, CA
    ^This^
    I wonder what would happen in the exact scenario. Potentially bad bad :bawl:
    I sent a guitar to my brother back in central IL during the summer a few years ago and it did not go well.

18. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    I've never given humidity a thought and never had any of the problems that some of you describe. We generally have a good bit of humidity year round. Only occasionally in the winter does the humidity drop far enough to where you can get static electricity shocks from walking over a carpet and then touching something metal like a door knob. I only have trouble with neck stability on one guitar (I have a variety of guitars being basses and 6 strings, acoustic and electric) and that's a low end Squier bass. It seems to be a problem of rapid temperature changes affecting the intonation. It can go from nearly perfect intonation to wildy out if the temperature changes too fast, too far.

Thumpr likes this.
  19. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    Where I live the temperature doesn't vary as much as in the US, for example (from 5 °C to 37 °C, normally), and there's never been any problem. It's never even been a topic of discussion between me and my friends.

Subtropical is nice.

20. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Or have have basses with carbon fiber necks. Well most of them, anyways. :cool:

Every wood neck responds differently to temperature and humidity changes. Quartersawn necks, if I remember correctly, have the grain running perpendicular to the strings instead of with them. That makes quite a bit of difference with strength and other factors that can cause it to move.