1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Punchy P-styles for a dual-P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KillerEddie, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    I'm wondering what would be the best option for warm, punchy P pickups. This seems like a commonly-asked question but what's uncommon about it is how I intend to use them. I plan on placing them in a mockingbird with two P pickups. I want punch without it getting to muddy. Active or passive options (the bass already has a battery box).

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly, I have always found that with rounds and the tone knob dimed a P bass will get downright bright. With one in the bridge position too you should be able to get gritty if you want.

I have a Fender P bass V and the standard pickup is just great. I am having a bass made by Hammersmith as we speak and I'm getting a Duncan Antiquity II custom made in 5 string for that bass. It's supposed to be wired like the 60s P bass pickup.

Short version is if punchy without getting muddy is what you're looking for you almost can't go wrong.

Also, pics or your Mockingbird doesn't exist. ;)

3. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    It's going to be one like this. I actually kind of like the stock pups in this one but I was thinking of getting one of the new cheaper bolt on ones and experimenting with pups to find something with a bit more punch.
    IMG_0007.JPG

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Personally, Its hard to beat a Duncan SPB-1 It is a perfect vintage sounding P pickup.

Frenchy-Lefty and Zoobiedood like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That or the EMG Geezer, which has a tiny bit of extra midrange action that I find very desirable.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I need to build another bass with a P pickup so I can try one of the Geezers. Your sound clips have me sold on them

JimmyM likes this.
  7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I had a dual-P with Dimarzio Model P pickups in both positions. Punchy and grindy with the tone knob up, smooth and fat with the tone rolled back.

Baa likes this.
  8. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    I have the same opinion.
    Mycket Vantage's have DiMarzio clones and they have great punsch!

Attached Files:

9. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    For punchy and warm, I would recommend the Fender Pure Vintage 63 pickups. It's an expensive pickup but it's one of the most punch pickup I have tested.
    The Dimarzio Model P could work, as a ceramic pickup it's got punch and hot output but it's not warm or vintage sounding.

10. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Here's what I've done:
    066p1_zps6f574bbc.
    That's a 1985 Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in place of the stock '76 Fender that died. Later I added a DiMarzio 'Split P' for extended range and tonal contrast. I chose the the black & white for in your face visual contrast, but all black is available for the less adventureous. I find that the sound of dual humbucking ceramic magnet blade pickups compliment and add tonal contrast to the overwound AlNiCo V magnets of the Duncan split single coil Quarter Pounders. The Steve Harris signature Duncans would also be a superb choice in place of the QPs.