"Punk Is Dead"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In light of the current state of the world, i can see why people say punk is dead. You see we have this generation of people calling themselves punk, but they do everything that is NOT punk. An example would be following orders from authority. I firmly believe that you cannot do both and expect your material to ever come out sounding like real punk rock. Lets argue.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I think most people who themselves "punk" were always posers. A bad haircut, a spiked leather jacket, and a sullen facial expression is most of what you have always seen. People who don't follow authority are called convicts.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    BatBasstard, gebass6, Kenova and 41 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Meh, I don't feel like arguing. :p

4. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  5. If you were not around when punk rock started - it was merely a challenge to the establishment music industry in the mid ‘70s, which had become lame and boring and followed a pop formula. Not fresh and exciting like Elvis, Eddie Cochran, or Gene Vincent. It achieved its goal by ‘79. It died by the time it became defined by safety pins in the early 80s. Anything else is not true punk

6. El Güero

El Güero Inactive

Oct 5, 2015
    Okay, punk is dead. Does it stink any more now than when it was alive?

7. If you lived everything punk YOU would be Dead.

P.S. Signing up at a chat site automatically revokes your punk card. :whistle:

< Turns back up his Chaos UK after turning it down for a brief break to write this post.

8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    There's an excellent 3-part BBC documentary on YouTube called Punk Britannia.
    E1 "Pre-Punk: 1972-1976" (pub rock, Dr Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe, Eddie and the Hotrods, etc)
    E2 "Punk: 1976-1978" (Sex Pistols, Clash, Sham 69, etc)
    E3 "Post-Punk: 1978-1981" (Joy Division, Public Image Ltd, the Slits, the Specials, etc).

9. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    "Punks don’t like to hear it but they and Mrs. Thatcher were both on the coattails of something bigger, which was the rise of individualism where we could be whatever we wanted to be,” he explains. “The Sex Pistols’ song ‘I Wanna Be Me’ came at the same time as a speech by Mrs. Thatcher that had pretty much the same message."

Adam Curtis.

I'm with Curtis.

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I say whatever. Music is good or bad, and labels are for marketers.

11. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Punk died after the first two Ramones albums (and the first Dictators album). The beginning of the end was the first album by the Sex Pistols, who were the punk Monkees, assembled by Malcolm McLaren after seeing the Ramones and realizing that he could make some money by ripping off their sound.

But at least the Pistols got that punk was supposed to be a joke, unlike the dead-serious bands that came after, like the Clash and the rest. Taking punk seriously it as anti-punk as it gets.

I got your punk right here ("I . . . drink Coca-Cola for breakfast . . . "):

" . . . Beatin' up the kids from Spain . . ."

12. Yango

Yango Inactive

Apr 14, 2008
    41035193-2CD5-4365-B570-6AB74ABF1BDC.jpeg

terrymo, jbhaugh, 4dog and 8 others like this.
  13. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    We also have a generation of people with beards that make themselves look like lumberjacks but in reality they couldn't swing an axe for more than a minute.

14. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    Remembering some punk band member's complaint about 'old geezers like Zeppelin', I have only two words for this conversation: Dread Zeppelin.

Half-ass reggae, snappy wardrobe, and some sort of Elvis fronting the players. Playing at the St. Joseph's CYO this Satur . . . . . . whoops, cancelled.

15. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Correction: Arguably, people who don't follow authority are called criminals (I would argue that nonconformists is perhaps a more accurate term).

People who do so poorly (or unluckily) are called convicts.

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was listening to Chaos UK this afternoon!

I was also jamming out to this today. I love 80’s hardcore. The drums on this are so good.

S-Bigbottom and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Dude, if you think punk died after the Ramones and the Dictators albums, you're missing out on a LOT of great music.

18. Its Dead again??????

I was a fan in the 70's. Music is just music. Nothing dies. Somewhere someone is rocking out to Frankie Avalon.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Punk is just a state of mind. It was around long before the Sex Pistols and Ramones (or even the 60s garage bands). The Dictators (mentioned above) were a comedy band and a great one at that, not punks...I loved that first album. The toruble with punk is that once you get to the point of thinking you're punk you aren't punk any more.

Cleoma Falcon started playing guitar and singing with her accordion playing husband Joe in the late 1920s in heavily Catholic Louisiana. In those days a woman playing dance music in barrooms was scandalous, no better than a hooker. Now that's punk!

20. El Güero

El Güero Inactive

Oct 5, 2015
    LOL Sometimes the truth hurts, sometimes it makes you laugh.

JMacBass65, andruca, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.