1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pups for BBG4S

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by full_bleed, Apr 8, 2006.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Does anyone make a pickup that will fit a Yamaha BBG4S?

2. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    :help: Bump :help:

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That has the soapbars, right? Measure them and then check the web sites of Bartolini and EMG. They might have one the same size.

I have a BBG5A, which I think has the same pickups, but for 5 string. I think they sound great. Why do you want to change them?

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I did measure them I haven't found anything to match. They are very wide compared to other pickups.

I want to change them becaue they sound very brittle. I did like the sound of them for the longest time but I don't care for them much anymore and would like to try something new.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hmm. Mine don't sound brittle at all. They sound really warm and fat.

Good luck in your search.

6. I've only got experience with the G5, which are like 4.7" or something. This means that the EMG45 (or equivalent) shape fits with a tad of space that you spread over both sides and ends up being fairly insignificant. Or so I've heard and can imagine, TuBass did a piece of work a while ago.

I'd think that the process would be similar for the 4 string version as well, just that it might be the EMG40 (or equivalent) shape instead.

In other news, I ordered a set of the RBX-375 pickups (the fat pole piece ones) before christmas. They arrived yesterday, so I'll be picking them up today and probably installing them on Monday, maybe even Sunday if I get the time.

7. If you're interested, I picked up the pups the other Thursday and as tempting as it was to can the rest of my day and install them then, I waited till Monday.

If the 4 string is anything like the 5 (which I believe it to be), I think I can sympathise with where you're coming from with the 'brittle' sounding pups. I wouldn't say 'brittle', more a nice 'HiFi' sound but its pretty easy to get a little frustrated when its a 7am soundcheck and you're looking for a nice mellow midded-tone and you just can't quite shake the irritating elements of the high end.

The new pups are different. I found it surprisingly subtle, definitely less 'HiFi', ballsier, with a more balanced tone across the strings (the B used to suffer a bit when favoring the neck pup). I can't say its the tone you're looking for, I'm not even sure if its what I'm after but if you're looking to lose that 'brittleness' then these may do the trick without diverging too far from the tone you're probly used to.

If you're interested I picked them up for $80 each, which is like $50-60 of your monies. Installation wasn't real tough, the crazy Japanese can pack things in tight, so most of the harness had to come out just so I could see exactly what was going on. You'll also need to drill one hole per pup for the slightly different mounting arrangement.

8. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    what brand pickup/model did you get?

9. Yamaha. They're the pickups out of the RBX-375, or 374 in your case. I just asked if the guy at the store could get them in as spare parts.

10. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    duh... I didn't see that before :(