1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pups louder when solo'ed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rpmazzi, Mar 31, 2013.

1. rpmazzi

rpmazzi

May 28, 2012
    My Cort GB75 gets louder when the pup selector is rolled to either bridge or neck. Is this a function of series vs parallel or some other factor? I'd like to be able to use the adjustment as a tone blend without having to compensate for the volume boost.
    My apologies if this is a re-hash, but everything I've read here about S vs P has to do with tone or overall strength of signal.
    Thank you!

2. augdog

augdog

Nov 12, 2009
    Quakertown PA
    Someone will chime in with more knowledge than me. but if the pickups are single coil, they could be out of phase and cancel each other. The cure would be to switch the wire connection on one pickup. Otherwise this would cause the bass to sound "hollow" when both pickups are used. Thats my 2 cents!

3. When you place two pickups parallel to each other, the resistance of each coil loads against the other, and reduces the output. This is standard insertion loss.

You may have noticed that the volume gets louder on Jazz basses, and other basses with VVT control schemes, when one volume pot is rolled down a hair. That's the same thing.

4. rpmazzi

rpmazzi

May 28, 2012
    So, if my Lakland doesn't do this, it's wired in series...?

5. Pickups are very rarely ever wired series to each other, unless there is a series/parallel switch.

6. If your pups are wired in series you would get aprox a half of the output when one pup is soloed... Series wiring is pup1 output + pup2 output = total output (not that simple but close)

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Does it get significantly quieter with the low end almost completely gone? If so, it's a phase issue. To fix that you need to swap the hot and ground leads of one (either) of the pickups by unsoldering the leads from the pots, swapping their positions and soldering them in their new position.