1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Purchasing bass for punk music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Boss 101, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Bass Boss 101

Bass Boss 101

Nov 11, 2010
    I'm getting into a punk band and i need to choose the best bass for a grungy punk sound. I have a Gallien-Krueger Bacline 410 4x10 cab with a 300 watt amp head. I was going with either an American Standard Fender P-Bass or a Music Man StingRay.
    Help me out.
    :D

2. Fender P of course!

3. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    P, preferably the cheapest one you can get... a squier VM w/ duncan-design pu would probably do the trick.

/thread

4. earth

earth

Nov 4, 2010
  5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Hit a pawn shop, find a cheap ugly bass with potential (good neck, hardware, etc). My local pawn shop has USA Peavey Fury p-style basses for around 100 bucks all of the time.

6. p bass and play the crap out of it

Forget about getting an ugly bass..I dont understand that. Plenty of punk bands out there that arent playing pieces of crap. You've got a nice rig,so go get a nice bass and put the scars on it yourself.

7. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    Yep. What he said. And the uglier the bass is the better. I envy anyone playing bass in a punk band. I always wanted to do that and I never did. Too old now.

8. mtshark

mtshark

Nov 28, 2008
    Stolen from another thread:

9. just buy whatever, get in touch with the punk side that just doesn't give a ****

DON'T DO WHATEVER ANYONE TELLS YOU, 'cause then you'll just be a follower.

get what you WANT to get.

10. mremic01

mremic01

Nov 29, 2008
    Madison, WI
    The P-bass has always been the go-to bass for any kind of punk (oldschool, pop-punk, oi, skramz, emo, hardcore, metalcore, orgcore, folk-punk, etc...)

The newer pop-punk/mallcore scene tends to favour Quarter Pounders as replacements for the stock P pickups. Personally, I'd prefer a PJ just for the extra versatility. The Stingray is pretty cool though, so go with what you like best.

11. +1

Punk is an Attitude... play what rocks you.

12. And if you can't quite hang with the idea of hitting a pawn shop for your next bass, here is a true story of what a guitar playing friend did when he started playing punk: He took a perfectly serviceable Gibson, American made, Les Paul and "refinished it..." with a BLOW TORCH.

13. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Why does everyone think that you have to own "sh-tty" cheap gear because you're in a punk band?:eyebrow:

I'm in a punk band, and can tell you that the majority of bass players I've seen play Stingrays, Jazz basses, followed by P basses. Most are Fenders...not Squiers. Stingrays and Fender Jazz basses have been the dominant two. As far as amps, I've seen it all...Ampeg, Acoustic, GK....and Markbass & Peavey (thanks to yours truly). I mainly gig a 99 MIA Fender Jazz bass, or a 2008 MIA Fender P bass. My rigs consist of a Markbass cmd 102P with a 115HR extension, or my cheaper rig, which is a Peavey Tour TNT 115 over a GK Neo 115.

I'd try all the aforementioned basses with your rig, and see what you think will work best.

My band...The Snallygasters!

14. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I'm in the P-Bass camp. I'm not in the cheap camp. Maybe the affordable camp. Then I say put the spurs to it with vintage pups. "Why?" you ask. Go read the Bass Player interview with Matt Freeman from Rancid. That's why. I would also say buy used if at all possible. Something that's been heavily played for like 8 years or more. Used basses just sound better than new. IMO

15. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    You're never too old Winn!!

I've been in Modern rock, 80's rock/metal, and gigging classic/pop rock bands and finally at the age of 39, I'm in a gigging punk band. We are influenced by 70's and 80's rock as well as the 70's British punk, and oi bands. It's a lot of fun. The only thing I'm not a fan of is having 3-5 bands gear all thrown together in one room...you have to be more attentive. When I was in the "only" band playing, I never had to worry about it so much. I do love playing with more bands on the bill because it seems like there's a good crowd all the time. Last gig we played, there was definitely over a 100 people in the room, and all I was doing before was maybe 40-50 people at bar & grills playing old songs from the 70's and 80's. Plus, we're actually getting the opportunity to open for bands on major labels, which is something I've never done.

As cliche as it may sound, punk is "part" attitude.

16. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    True...my 99 Jazz sounds better than my 2010, and it has the same pickups, fretboard wood (maple).

17. As far as I'm concerned punk is all attitude.

18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Get a really nice Bass. Doesn't have to be expensive or fancy, just make sure it sounds awesome. Nothing can beat a Precision.

19. leshok

leshok

May 25, 2010
    Bakersfield, CA
    I am in a punk band and use a Fender P-bass (mexican). I would happily sell it and spend the extra few dollars on a Ray34 or Stingray (Guitar center has them for $980 right now)!

Here is a video off how the p-bass sounds in action at a punk show. That was a pretty fun house show!
    http://vimeo.com/13122204