Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pure Zender Fuzz...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkzfly, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Hey,

I've got three effects on the way now (The Akai Deep Impact, Lovetone Meatball and the EHX Electric Mistress) to add to the pedal board, but I'm still after something hyper-fuzzish...don't know if any of you have heard Travelling Without Moving by Jamiroquai, but Stuart Zender breaks out the fuzz on his ME-8B, and I can't find the equivilant in any pedal. Any suggestions/input would be appriciated.

Cheers

By the way, don't suggest the Big Muff or the Zvex Woolly Mammoth. The latter would be nice, but not in combination with an active bass.

2. Doesnt zender just use a lot of compression on that track?

3. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
  4. Cool! I'll have to wait until I finish work to listen to it though. Sorry I had no idea he even used a fuzz, let alone which one he used.

5. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Haha, that's okay. He used a Mu-Tron and his Boss ME-8B Multi effects live.

6. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
  7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    How can you guys tell that there's compression being used? I always get confused when people say "a whole lot of compression vs. a little compression" and whatnot.

8. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    A few reasons. You get that heavily squashed sound coming across, and there's generally a higher end rolloff. Compression is more obvious when used in the studio. If you ever get the chance to listen to Jamiroquai's second album 'Return Of the Space Cowboy', then the anolog recording and the heavy amounts of compression put into tracks like 'Scam' and 'Just Another Story' (where Stuart actually uses an envelope filter, which only becomes obvious later on in the track), are very much apparent.

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i own a me-8b, but i think a guyatone mini fuzz would do the trick from my own tests

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    No experience in Guyatone whatsoever, but I hear their pedals are pretty bad? Might be rumours though

11. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Actually that Guyatone looks bloody marvelous! Thanks.

12. Aw, was just listening to "just another story", the groove at the end is immense! Havent listened to that track in months...

13. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Another Zender fan! Just Another Story is simply immense. Zender's sound is plain PHAT!

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    im a zender fan too, anybody knows about his proyects post jamiroquai?=

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hey man just let us know what you end up picking and liking :)

16. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Shall and will. Still got an Akai Deep Impact, a Lovetone Meatball, an EHX Electric Mistress on the way as well now.

17. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    What do you want to know?

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    id have to sell my car to buy a deep impact AND a meatball.. but good going i say.

re: guytone fuzz: a few people here use it and swear by it. its small & simple, but apparently it sounds pretty good.

19. I think the main man is in a project called Leroy these days... Not sure if/when there will be a record out. I think the Azur project he started after he left Jamiroquai kinda burned out. :meh:

Stu Zender is quite possibly my biggest influence in terms of groove and technique... he da man! He is probably responsible for my Warwick obsession too... :D

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Always found guyatone pedals to be of really good quality myself, but your mileage might vary.