1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pussy Riot

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

With all the young punk rebels we have on this board, there isn't anyone to say a word about Pussy Riot?

Russian punk band, emprisoned for months, because they sang a punk prayer against Putin in an Orthodow Church.
    Next time you guys protest because the cafeteria is out of soda, think about them.

This trio deserves all kinds of support. They are a proof that rock as a mean of protestation isn't dead.

2. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Makes me sad......

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Why do I have the feeling this is going to be a fun thread?

4. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    +1

("free pussy"... jiggle jiggle...:bag:)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    LOL. Giggity! And we're off!

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I think it's intertwined with a big no no on the forum... the P word . . . and an even bigger one ... the R word (politics and religion).

FWIW can't see the 'crime'... but let's not go there here...

I am going to wait here with the popcorn if anybody wants some, bring your own beer (OK you can have like one, but not the nice stuff... that's mine).

There's like a bag of chips around here too...

7. I have been keeping up with this story too. I know a few girls who are in the states for a work abroad thing from Russia. would it be impolite to ask them what they think of Putin?

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I think Putin is as fair game as any public figure...

9. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    punk_cat3-1.

Please sir can I have some more?

10. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Are they really a band? From the about page, they appear to be a performance art group and only one is a "poet" and the rest are visual artists. Seems like a poor emulation of a punk band, but Russia is known for poor emulations. They seem to be more of a feminist rights/political group; maybe this would be better in off-topic. Not really music related as I don't think any of the 3 are actually musicians.

11. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    These three young ladies are experiencing a crash course in democracy vs. not democracy. Hopefully, one of Mr. Putin's advisors will tell him that crushing these ladies would be a PR disaster. Assuming, of course, that Mr. Putin cares about such things.

12. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    they got Putin jail

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

drummer.

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a classic Putin-Russia kind of a case. It's pretty clear that they didn't have church permission to make their statement on church property, so there probably could be a legitimate charge of trespassing or something involved. I mean, even in the US if a random person climbed on the altar of a Catholic church and started making political speeches, you could call the cops to take them away. Freedom of speech doesn't entitle you to make free with others' property. But the months of jail time (and threat of years more) are clearly out of proportion to any real offense and are clearly motivated by the politics of it. I like to hope they'll be acquitted, but from what I hear of Russia these days it doesn't seem likely.

15. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    It's probably ok to ask them. I had a few Russian students a while back and asked them in class about their honest opinion about Putin. They were eager to share it.

16. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    This kinda reminds me of the dude standing in front of the tank in China, some years ago.

17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Really? He was single-handedly holding back the Chinese army from massacring thousands of other peaceful protesters. I'm rooting for them, but I don't think this episode is in the same weight class as Tienanmen Square.

18. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Crap... *erases lyrics to "I can haz soduhz?"*

:smug:

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The one on the left looks kinda scary.

20. Putin has adopted a not-unexpected approach to perceived dissent recently.. he's not known for being conciliatory (part of his appeal to the older Soviet mindset, which is still quite strong throughout the country, and also evidenced by his support of the current Syrian regime)... but in an age of nano-second global communication and social commentary, his actions in this case are seen as hamfisted, petty and paranoid... Russia has lurched in so many directions in the last 30 years that the ship is continually righting itself in big and small ways. Pussy Riot may or may not be a legit band or a dedicated feminist "action", but his response to this has been a source of embarassment for Putin's camp.. it'll be interesting to see what shakes out.