Putting a high C on a 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brandondabass, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Brandondabass

Brandondabass

Sep 4, 2009
    Sydney
    I have a standard 5 string setup on my USA Jazz Bass but I want to out a high C on it ie remove the B and have E A D G C. Any tips on setup for this config? A I likely to experience massive action and relief differences?
    Cheers
    Brandon

2. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    It's do-able. You'll probably have to cut a new nut and do some set up on the neck and bridge if it was used to wearing a typical 5 string set.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No, nothing "massive". Replace the nut, if necessary. Adjust the action, intonation and/or neck relief - if necessary. And you're done.

MM

4. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    I've tried it on a couple basses. The setup is not the issue; that can be done as described by others who have replied. Reaching across four strings to play the notes normally played on the "E" string is what eventually becomes the problem.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    go for it, you may not even need to mess with the nut.

the ones under the string tree(s) will not be a problem at all, the lowest string will have plenty of angle and also not be a problem, it'll just be about the second-to-last string if it's not held down by anything.

overall tension change will be minimal; after all, 4 of the 5 strings will be the exact same size and tension, just moved over a slot.

6. Brandondabass

Brandondabass

Sep 4, 2009
    Sydney
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I made the change and discovered there was minimal change required. I did need to slightly alter the intonation on a few strings and ofcourse saddle height but again, only minimally. I now have to retrain my brain to visualise the new string configuration from the old.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Should be fine. You may need to tweak the truss rod slightly or adjust bridge saddle height slightly. Prob no reason to replace the nut. The 2 fivers Ive had got string that way and none had reason to be given nut replacement. Stock nut worked fine.

8. Brandondabass

Brandondabass

Sep 4, 2009
    Sydney
    Ha, I totally know what you're saying. Damn, having difficulty getting my head around this. I've been playing a 4th above everyone. I do get a good giggle out of it though. It's my band so I can't sack myself but am working hard to remedy this calamity. The high C does sound brilliant though and is awesome for soloing.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021