Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PV Dynabass info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Sep 25, 2004.

1. I picked up a PV Dynabass today - bolt on - super ferrite p/ups - switch for active or passive. White finish with gold hdware.It is a really nice bass !! I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it out - and it was cheap - so I scooped it up. I think these were an early 80's model. Anyone know what they sold for new ? Any info/opinions about them out there ?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you go to Peavey's forum and ask there, the Peavey rep will tell you the original list price, the date to go with your s/n, etc. They gave me info on a Unity Dynabass I was looking at.

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    may be a cheap-o but, pics? post em if ya got em

4. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Congrats on your purchase. Dyna Basses are fantastic basses. I am still trying to score one-- just waiting for the rigt one to jump out at me.

IMO Peavey is one of the best values for basses, period. Dyna's are a great example of how much value Peavey packs in low price tag. I recently picked up an Axcelerator fretless (NOS) and it is amazing. Really light weight, great feel and sounds great- nice and mellow.

Enjoy!

BTW, going by a vague memory, I think they listed for around $400 new.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not early 80s, late 80s.

I used to have a 1989 Dyna-Bass 5. Made in USA, top shelf Shaller hardware, Ultra-durable high quality Charcoal Grey Metallic paint job, Super Ferrite pickups, actvie/passive switch. Great bass, fantastic neck. I played the HELL out of that thing in club bands, recorded with it and it never let me down, not once. It recorded really well.

There were a wide variety of them at different price ranges. The neck-through "unity" ones were most expensive, they evolved into the "TL-5" and "TL-6" (which grew to today's Cirrus line). Mine was a bolt-on 5 string, listed at $900, bought new in 1989 $600.

Good find. :)

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That's interesting. The Unity Dynabass (four string) that I was interested in was 1989 or 1990, koa neck-thru w/purpleheart laminations, solid koa body, oil finish but passive w/plain P/J pups and gold hardware, listed for only $719.

7. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Unity 4 string I remember those! I didn't like the P/J pickup configuration on them, and I vaguely remember that the unity 5 string was -very- tough to find until the "TL" came out in something like 91? Back then 5-string was a smaller market and almost still a novelty.

8. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I had a dyna bass 5 back in the late 80's also. Jet black with chrome hardware. Played like a dream and I did 100's of gigs with it and never had a problem with it. I seem to remember paying about $450 for it used but got way more out of it. Sold it to a guy in '92 who is still using it.

9. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I had a Dynabass as my second bass (upgraded from an epiphone). I never had any problems with it, sounded great, played great, etc. Eventually I switched to a Ric, I liked the wider nut, but for the money, you couldn't really beat a dynabass.

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I tried to score a nice Dynabass with a koa body a few months ago, but I got outbid on eBay. I like Peaveys in general, and Dynabasses seem to be quite nice. Used Peaveys are a great value, imho.

11. It's a 1986 - and retail for it was $729.50. I posted on the PV Forum and a Rep answered. I paid $300 CDN

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    thanks for the follow-up!

13. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have 2 FOUNDATIONS with the Superferrite pickups. I love those pickups, almost like a Jbass on steroids.

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Very apt description.

15. Is the Dynabass a Foundation with active elec. and gold hdware ?

16. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Here is mine:

I am the original owner, flamed maple, neck-thru, ebony board, active pre-amp with three band EQ... Schaller hardware...

I just ordered from Peavey an original replacement battery cover... Gotta love their customer service....

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Those oval marker inlays make it look like the TL basses that followed.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sort of. The Dynabass evolved out of the Foundation, and some of the 4 string Dyna versions have the same super ferrite pickups.

The Dynabass gradually evolved from a modernized pro quality Foundation to what later became the TL5, TL6, Sarzo, and Cirrus lines.

There are bolt on Dynas, which are most closely related to the Foundation.

There is the Unity series, which is basically Peavey's term for neck through, and those are more closely related to the Sarzo and TL5/6.

19. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    1991 Peavey Unity Series (passive) ... Koa/Purpleheart

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to own a 5 string TL bass and the stock electronics were identical to those of a Dyna Bass. It even had "Dyna Bass" printed on the circuitboard.