1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PX4D

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Craig630, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Thanks for reading this!

Pandora PX4D -

I recently picked one of these up and as much as I love it, I'm having some real issues with it.

When playing, I will hear a series of clicks and then it goes dead. If I push any of the buttons or turn it off/on then it works again. Sometimes for 10 seconds, sometimes for an hour, sometimes just long enough to hear a fraction of a note.

I was thinking it may be some sort of overload (not an electrician by any means, excuse my terminology faux pas) since I was using active basses on it. I bypassed the amp on my 'wick and tried playing my passive Jbass.

There's a HI/LO input switch on the side opposite the power toggle and I've tried playing with that in both positions with active and passive basses and I get the same thing.

I've seen a number of poeple using this with a bass with no issues and I'm wondering if there's some setting I'm missing or if I maybe just got a bum box.

Any ideas?

Craig

2. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I have a PX5D.
    It is supposed to have that switch on "HI" for active basses,High output pups, and humbuckers and "LO" for passive basses w/ single coils, or low output pups.
    That being said, it sounds like you have a bad box.
    If it is new, I would try to get an exchange or refund.
    If not, you could take it to someone who is qualified and have them look for a broken wire or bad solder joint.

3. Does it have hard switch to turn it off? Or does it disconnect power when you unplug the bass?

If it has a way to completely disconnect power from the unit, do that. Listen to see if it makes the same repetitive click. If it does, you likely have a bad power connection inside the unit. If it isn't as simple as that I've got nothing.

4. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, I've tried the HI/LO setting with no difference either way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Hard Switch." It has a slider with three settings; Off, On, and On with Backlight. Both On settings do the same thing and obviously when it's off, there's no sound at all. It runs on batteries, nothing comes through when it's in the off position.

If I unplug the bass, it does not make that click, and the click is not repetative. It's one click and then silence.

I'm thinking it's a built in feature of some kind to save the electronics from a possible overload. While it does happen when I'm just playing, it seems to happen far more frequently when I'm really digging in. Volume (bass or box setting) has no seemingly no effect on the frequencey of this.

5. I still think it has something to do with the power supply cutting out but I don't know how to go about proving it, or guiding you to prove it.

If you use batteries, have you tried a power supply? If you use a power supply, have you tried batteries? If one works and the other doesn't, that would seem to isolate the wiring associated with that power section.

Good Luck.

6. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Thanks for the idea,

I'll see if I can find an appropriate power supply when I get home tonight.

I appriciate all the help guys!

7. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Good morning TBers!

I swapped out the power supply last night to no avail.

If anyone's familiar with the PX4D, you know you can ByPass all the modeling and effects and what-not and it functions as a tuner. If I keep it on this setting it never shorts out.

If nobody else has any ideas, I'll fiddle around with it tongiht and search for the receipt if nothing works.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread guys.

8. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Mine acted up like that once. I moved it to the other side of the amp head and it hasn't happened again.

9. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    why not contact Korg, and try to get them to help?

10. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Thanks again for your input everyone.

GM: I'm going straight to my headphones, no amp/head/stack involved.

THand: I have emailed KORG and have not yet received a response. I was hoping that someone in the TB community may have experienced this before and could help.

I'll try poking KORG again though.

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    TB user Line6man knows a heck of alot about electronics and may be able to offer some helpful troubleshooting advice.

12. What you described does not sound typical of input overloading.

The difference between an active and passive bass is simply a matter of output impedance, and output level on preamps that provide a gain boost.
    The input of your unit really doesn't care about the output impedance of the bass, and if the bass was excessively hot, you would notice clipping/distortion of the signal, not any of the problems you described.
    FWIW, I'm guessing that the hi/lo switch is a pad to attenuate the signal, should you have an excessively hot bass.

This definitely sounds like it's an issue with the unit itself, not your bass.