Pyramid Gold Flatwound. my 2 cents

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by morehorn, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Chiming in every once in a while for insightful info for the community:

Spent the last month with Pyramid Gold 640/a (105 85 65 45). I’m a string addict constantly on the search for something cool for my main bass. I consider myself an expert in set-up and have a pretty good producers ear for pop/indie/r&b/soul/experimental sounds.

Sound: 10
    Feel: 9
    Intonation: 9
    Customer Service: 10
    Reliability: 0 (zero)
    Value: 3

I’m pretty much convinced that, for me, these are the best sounding and, pretty much, best feeling strings i’ve ever had on my 73 jazz bass. No overt bottom, plenty of mids (very present around 250 to 2k hz), and shy highs that you can pull out with a pick or a pop. Set-up and intonate perfectly for me. I’ve heard them be called “supple” but that is probably referring to the lighter gauges that they sell as a standard set - these are stiff for a 105/45 set but very playable.

They sound like a recording through my amp... Insane. Thick and they sound like the lows mids and highs are coming from the same place; married very well. A unique but extremely usable voice.

The Comically Bad:
    My review is based on the E A and D strings because I never got to play a G string with this set... I snapped one putting them on (i was pulling in it to stretch it but not like crazy). I received another free string from Pyramid in Germany. I was very careful and it snapped while I was adjusting the intonation screw at the bridge while the string was at pitch...
    Last night my A string snapped/unwound at the 7th fret while it was sitting on my guitar rack!! Heard a pop from across the room and, to my astonishment, looked to find my A was laying there floppy.

Customer service (Max at Pyramid) has been awesome and apologetic. I even have two other G replacements from my second snapping on the way but I am moving on after the A snapped.

I will revisit Pyramid golds if I get to famous level where I can afford multiple sets / back-up basses / etc. Yes, they sounded and felt that good to me. But there’s no way I can give them another shot now. I’m moving on.

imabuddha, e-flat, tindrum and 3 others like this.
  2. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Just curious, are you stringing thru the bridge or thru the body? I ask because some flats and tape wounds don't do well when strung through the body.
    B.

3. Yeah, should’ve added so I don’t seem like a newby:

Top load standard fender bridge (that through body voodoo about flats has more to do with silk length than anything else)

Also - all 3 broken strings were installed by over/under wrapping the machine head, crimping, and then cutting the string.

Two snapped completely between the saddle and ballend; one came unwound at about the 7th fret.

4. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Used a set of these strings for years with no issue. Pyramid customer service should send you a free set.

5. Customer service has been great. They have sent me 3 free replacements in total. I don’t want to pursue it anymore at this time.

6. Fantastic customer service. I have the Pyramid flats on my Fender Jazz and they sound fantastic. They are definitely the smoothest Flats out there. When I play the neck pickup only, I'm in great Hofner territory.

Lance Bunyon likes this.
  7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    My experience is similar to the OP's. [I admit I strung them through the body (not that I could choose, on that particular instrument).] Had an A string break on me, its core broken at about the 5th fret, while sitting unplayed inside a gig bag propped against the wall (got it replaced by Herr Junger no prob).

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i have owned many pyramids, just took off a set actually. yes i have snapped a few g strings. you really need to be super careful about string height. do you have high action? if so i would get that under control. also the most important thing is put on the E, A, D strings first and tune them and get them up. Due to the high tension the neck needs to flatten. Then put on the G and slowly bring it up to pitch. Maybe just bring it up to E first, re-tune your bottom three, then F, re-tune the bottoms, then G.

If you have super low action this won't be an issue. If you have high action and want a string bend you will break it.

i agree with the tonality, they are unique sounding. VERY mid focused, super thick and heavy mids. and super heavy bottom. they also have a super fast decay and nice attack. so they thump. they are nickel so they are very warm sounding and smooth as glass.

imabuddha, e-flat and Root 5 like this.
  9. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I put them on my Samick short scale P-bass years ago and have never had a spot of trouble with them. Oh, I've jinxed myself for sure now...

Meanwhile, I love the tone and feel of those strings. Big, thick, super woody.

10. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Love them on my '64 Pbass. Never another string for that bass.

11. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    'love'em on a Hofner Beatle Bass. Tonally, "Married very well" as the OP said, and yes, "smooth as glass." Definitely, my next set on a fretless P. Really looking forward to that combo.

12. To be clear: you wrapped and then crimped? If so, that would be your issue. I would crimp it, cut, then wrap. I've used several sets of Pyramid Golds and had no issues.

e-flat and JimmyM like this.
  13. Root 5 - trying to wrap my brain around that but I can’t. Believe me, three wraps, a hard crimp, and then a cut is going to guarantee that there isn’t core slip. Way more preventative than cutting before you wrap. Plus, in all my cases, the core snapped not the outer wrap.

14. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    I have never done any cutting or crimping when installing Pyramid Gold flats, I've just poked the string end in the tuner hole, made a bend and wound the string onto the tuner post, just like you'd do with any bass strings. I first started using Pyramids some 10 years ago and so far haven't ever broken a string - have bought several sets over the years and play those daily.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    same here, not using them currently but i never cut or crimped.

Petethebassman likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Maybe it’s just me…but I could understand how a string might break up near the nut or down by the bridge…but cores snapping mid neck, or concerns about action height and bending strings causing breakages?

Doesn’t give me warm fuzzies about the metallurgy they’re employing.

imabuddha likes this.
  17. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well, for what little it's worth, I've had my Pyramids on my short scale for nearly 20 years. I didn't crimp them, just tucked them into the tuners and tuned them to pitch. You can see them in the Samick headstock in my picture. No problems. Great strings for me.

18. For me, no crimp ... no problem.

19. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I’m new to Pyramid Flats but really love the feel & tone right out of the gate. They combine a lot of the attributes I like from other flats I’ve tried - > I’ll be cautious w/ the G String though!

Petethebassman likes this.
  20. But that's not what Pyramid recommends. Crimp first, cut, then wrap.

e-flat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021