Q-turners vs emgs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DangaDanga, Aug 3, 2018.

1. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    Does any one have a good comparison to emg dcs to q-turners? I played a modulus with emgs and loved them but am curious of experiences with q-turner soapbars. I’m doing a new project and want to put soapbars into a graphite neck bass. I like modern aggressive to funk feel. I’m trying to play more cyberpunk to heavy synth wave music. I also have a bass with neo mms and a darkgrass pre so I’m trying to change up on pups and possibly to a emg pre.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Q-tuner's all the way. EMG's sound nice....until you try Q-tuner's. Big open clear sound, very dynamic. Great starting point for sound shaping downstream.

DangaDanga likes this.
  3. Gfkfloyd

Gfkfloyd

Sep 30, 2017
    I've been considering swapping the original EMGs out of my Steinberger for the Q-Tuners after hearing a set at the local guitar show. Has anyone else compared the 2 pickups?

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Haven’t compared, but I remember reading that some people find EMGs edgier and more aggressive than Q-Tuners (and other modern sidewinder pickups). The resonant peak is much higher in the treble range with Q-tuner, where our ears don’t perceive it well, which makes it sound more flat.

I’m not sure which model EMGs people compared, and it may have been the first generation of Q-Tuners they compared them to...

Gfkfloyd likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021