1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

QSC GX3 + VT Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j_micho, Aug 10, 2012.

1. After much online searching, I've pretty much settle on buying a QSC GX3. My plan is to eventually build two fearful 12/6 and use the GX3+Fearful combination as bass rig, guitar rig or PA, depending on my needs.

I own a Tech 21 VT Bass (for bass) and a Tech 21 British (for guitar). Will these properly drive the GX3 which has an input sensitivity of 1.2v?

Thanks!

2. If it were me I would look at the GX5 or 7 if you have decided on this line of amps. Those 12/6's will be loud with 300 watts apiece, but you can hit them a lot harder.

3. Yes, but I won't need to...

4. Maybe so, I would rather have ability to and not use it, than ever be caught with out when I need it.

Oh and I wouldnt see an issue with your VT and that amp. 1.2 isnt the lowest I have seen, but if the VT cant do that I would be surprised.

5. 2x300W Is already more than I need. If I were to change my plans, I would ratter go with smaller cabs than bigger amp (and save some money). Is there an alternative to fearful that would be in the 300W range (perhaps cheaper, but as good sounding)?

6. If cost is an issue than one 15/6 can get almost as loud as two 12/6's provided the appropriate power. I think you would have a hard time discerning a volume difference between a 15/6 and a bridged IPR 1600 and two 12/6's with a GX3.

Also I wasnt implying that you needed a bigger amp to make those cabs work, just saying that they will be happy with more power should you want to get louder. A stack of 12/6's loaded with the Alpha mids is a killer rig to be sure.

7. But then I would loose the ability to use the rig as a stereo PA.

8. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    fEarful isn't cheap by any means.

If you're looking for PA type cabs, there's literally scores that you can buy for less than half the price of the drivers for a fEarful.

9. You are right for mains. Once you get to adding subs and the like, it starts to add up as well.

10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    We conservatively rate our pedals at 0dB. They can exceed that rating but in general your output is dependent on your settings, the output of your bass and guitar and also the way you play.

The other thing to consider is whether or not you are running other pedals after the Character pedals. Most pedals are designed for instrument level. This means that even though the VT Bass or British may have enough output for the power amp if other efx are placed after them you may have to reduce the output to avoid overloading the pedals downstream. If this is the case you will need something after to boost the signal as an instrument level signal will not properly drive the power amp.

11. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    But that's not a level. I assume it's either dBu or dBV but it would be good to know. Or even better - give the output level as a voltage and avoid confusion.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    True. "0 dB" only indicates unity gain--i.e., "Vout = Vin"--and not an actual signal level.

Device output levels are almost never well described.