Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quality Issueswith LaBella Tapewounds??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gaius46, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Based on comments I've read and having used Labella strings on my classical guitar for years I put a set of LaBella tapewounds on my Warwick Corvette fretless 6. I love the sound and feel - I have used Fender tapewounds in the past and fell in love with the feel of those strings - but have run into some quality issues with the set I have.

Within 2 weeks of putting them on the tape began separate/crack at several points on the D string to the point of being painfully noticable when sliding a finger along the string. After asking a couple of questions that seemed aimed at determining whether I incorrectly installed or otherwise abused the string LaBella replaced it free of charge.

This morning, a little over a month after putting the strings on, the high C snapped at the ball end of the string. I tune my highest string to B so there's a hair less tension on it than it's designed for but I don't think that would be a problem - it wasn't a problem with the strings Warwick put on it from the factory (I used those for over a year).

I like the way the strings play and sound and am hoping I just got an uncharacteristically troublesome set. Anyone else have experience with these strings - good or bad?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I once had an issue with a Labella white tape g string. The tape became pitted and rough along the plucking area. Labella customer service was great about sending me a new one. You should contact them.