Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QUALITY

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Here's an example of some great CRAFTMANSHIP. What you don't want to see when you get a new extention. Under the 7 washers and whatever you can see a huge goober of crazy glue.

Attached Files:

• tb1.jpg
      tb1.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Here's the underside. This unit is actually completely crazy glued in place. Hardly PERFECTION.

Attached Files:

• tb2.jpg
      tb2.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    After removal of the unit and what I have to clean up. The bass was actually delivered to the buyer in this condition. Don't even get me started on what's inside the bass. Just because a shop talks about INTEGRITY doesn't mean they walk the walk.

Attached Files:

• tb3.jpg
      tb3.jpg
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    maybe they blew their budget on the tuners. That is horrible.

5. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Nah, I put those on before I got the capo to work. Just thought it would be fun to put up these pics to ruffle some feathers.

6. This is a new bass delivered in that condition.

That makes me ill

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Speaking of actual quality work, Joe says he couldn't be happier with the fingerboard job you did on his "A" bass. He says he couldn't put it down the day he got it back.....

8. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, we weren't speaking about actual quality work Ed, but thanks for the good word anyway.

9. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    That's really appaling--not only is it inappropriate as a method, it's sloppily done and ugly

cross one dealer off the list....

10. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    I had one of those extensions for a while. It didn't have
    crazy glue on it but it is the worst design. The gates never
    stay close. I eventually replaced it.

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    MacGyver!! That's it!

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, after a flurry of PMs and phone calls, I've decided to reopen this thread on several conditions:

1) The name of the shop and/or luthier that this work comes from is not to be mentioned by name in this thread.

2) If anyone can't stand the suspense and can't figure out what's going on, don't send me any more pms or emails - Send 'em to Jeff (he agreed to this). :)

3) If Paul (site admin) wants this thread gone, it's gone - no ifs, ands, or buts...I just work here. I understand its intent, and I understand how and why it could cause tempers to flare.

Feel free to comment on the pictures of the work in question, or about what measures are being made to correct it. I understand why the thread was started, and I want everyone to understand that the contents are Jeff's opinions on the bass he is being asked to fix. Feel free to share them or disagree with them, but do not bash anyone by name.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The one Arnold made for me doesn't have any Glue. Maybe he used 8-washers instead!.. :D

Just kidding... I couldn't resist..

14. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    With all due respect to all the talk bass members, moderators and Paul, why can't we comment on the quality of a luthier's work, especially if it is bad, on this site or thread for that matter?

Isn't this why we have this forum for all members to be informed?

In the year or so that I have been a member, I have learned so much, made many informed purchases, even a few bass buddies.

I almost bought a noname Chinese bass off of that "action site". Reading all the threads regarding these basses stopped me from wasting my money on one. I really appreciated that.

So why is it wrong to inform someone that "such and such a luthier" does not do a good job installing an E string extension for the same reason?

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Probably slander/legal concerns.

16. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    It's only slander if it's not true

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    But, a lawsuit is a reality in either event. It'd be my guess that TB would rather play it safe and let us IM such 'sensitive' information as this.

18. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    When I bought my Tyrolean bass, I knew it needed alot of work. I took it to one repairman, where the seller goes, who told me that he could just suck out the dent and slap some glue on it and it'll only cost me 150 bucks. Well, not happy with that answer, I took it to my guy. He just shook his head. As it turned out, he needed to take off the top to repair the dent. Not my favorite thing to hear, but if you want it done right... Once he's inside, he notices that the bass bar was made out of the wrong wood and actually cut too short; all this work was done by the seller's guy. It would cost alot more than a vaccuum job and some crazy glue. In the end, I still feel that I got a great deal on the bass, and it plays and sounds amazing. My guy even gives me free monthly checkups.

19. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Seeing what doesn't work gives us an opportunity to look at examples of what does. I will never have a C extension on my own bass, but could we have some photos from a few of you illustrating some nifty C extensions that work and a few words on why the design and workmanship makes them a better mousetrap? Have their makers gotten completely away from cutting away part of the scroll to install these things?

Steve Swan

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Something like that, yes. The mods at this site are trying to do the best we can to do the right thing. Paul owns the site, so what he says goes. As long as Jeff is willing to field the PMs and questions that a thread like this is likely to generate (we talked on the phone today and he said he was), then I have to believe that he's trying to give a friendly heads up to other TBers that not all luthiery is top notch, and people should check into where they're sending their basses before they make decisions they'll later regret.

On the other hand, it is NOT cool to use TB as a vehicle to slam specific businesses that are named by name. I had a problem with that in the Traeger book thread, and I initially closed this thread because it was headed down that path. As it is, if no names are named, and a picture of questionable work is posted, users may feel free to PM the person who posted the pics and ask who did the work that will need to be corrected later.

That's my stance at this point. Remember, Paul's my boss, and his word is law here at TB. If he tells me to delete it, it's gone. Please, folks, let's leave it at that; this is a private site, and private sites run by the rules established by the owner. I have a pretty good idea that Paul has enriched everybody's bass knowledge in one way or another by creating this space for us to hang in, and that we all love TB or we wouldn't come here. Let's not beat this one to death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.