Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quatre's Daily Bass Workout

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by quatre03, Feb 18, 2005.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    Well i've developed this workout that i'm going to try and do every day till i leave for berklee in a year and a half. I'm not sure how log it would take to get through all of it, but i'm still learning most of it, so it might take 2 hours of practicing to do all of it. But if you'd like to try it my only suggestion is do each part in order, and do it untill you get it, dont slack off of cut corners. This is based on Berklee Minimum Requirements for Graduation and a Degree in Performance, so studing this and applying it should really help anyone.

1. Major Scale & Modes
    • 2 Octaves
    • Triads & Inversions (work up to 2 octaves)
    • Broken Thirds & Sixths (work up to 2 octaves)
    • Chord Structures & Tensions
    2. Melodic Minor & Modes
    • 2 Octaves
    • Triads & Inversions
    • Broken Thirds & Sixths
    3. Harmonic Minor & Modes
    • 2 Octaves
    • Triads & Inversions
    • Broken Thirds & Sixths
    4. Symmetrical & Diminished
    • 2 Octaves
    • Triads & Inversions (Both Maj and Min from each degree)
    • Broken Thirds & sixths
    5. Reading
    • Rhythmic – Clapping & Slapping Rhythm packet
    • Chord Changes - Real Book Walking (ensamble playing)
    • Melodic – Bach (traditional prepared piece)
    6. Ear Training
    • Pitch Singing
    • Solfége
    • Transcription
    7. Pentatonics*
    • 2 Octaves
    • Broken Thirds or fourths as needed
    8. Learn a new scale

*Pentatonics are any scale with 5 notes, including, but not limited to, Major, Minor, Blues, and Japanese scales.

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    hm, "two hours" is a bit optimistic. :)

if you try to be efficient, 15-20 minutes of laser-beam concentration per exercise might be enough, though for some parts (reading, etc) it could be a bit short.

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    what are broken 3rds and 6ths?

4. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Are you using a teacher to help you through this, or is there a book you're using? If so, which one? (Just curious.)

Also, one thing - what you've listed is an excellent list of goals, but it's not exactly a daily practice list, you know? What does your daily practice log / journal / diary look like?

5. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    My teacher is a performance graduate from berklee. My goal is to get through it and know what i'm doing the whole way through and not just playing the paterns.

other than that i dont get what your saying

broken thirds, well the only way i can describe this is by using scale degrees. 1 is your root 1-3-2-4-3-5-4-6-5-7-6-8-7-9-8-3 then go backwards. for each scale degree and then the broken 6th

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Okay, thanks. Never knew there was a term for that.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    When I go to the gym, I don't like to just tune out and grunt through the reps. I like to do my reps measured, really focused on the muscles, feeling them do the work and being taxed.

My point is not to view this as only a "workout." Really hear and understand what you're playing. Don't just mindlessly play these scales hoping for some residual effects.

And challenge yourself, we don't learn much from playing what we already know. Playing through a bunch of scales is fine, but where is the music making? Play some tunes, some jazz standards. Learn the melodies and interpert the harmony. Walk the tunes and develop your soloing. Play in a band for the next year, a jazz band, to develop your walking and soloing.

Challenge yourself.