1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quest for a MXR Flanger - M-117R vs M-152 vs M-83

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by splattermaster, Jun 4, 2014.

1. splattermaster

splattermaster

Jul 19, 2013
    I'm looking for a flanger for a while now. I want to add a flanger to my modulations, I run all analog pedals. So I don't consider adding Electric Mistress or Boss BF-3. I don't want to add pedals that are out of production like the boss BF-2, or BF-2B.
    I just want it to make some intense jet plane noise,j probably running after my dirt pedals.
    I don't want to spend above 200 bucks, so the ADA reissue is not a choice neither.
    I decided to go on the MXR choices, all with pros and cons.
    The M-117R seems to be nice, but the 18V is an issue to my pedalboard, is very large and heavy pedal, that sucks too.
    M-152 is cheap and simple, that is good for me! this one runs with 9V, that's ok, but many people says that is subtle pedal, and I don't wanna go subtle,
    M-83 is very glorified pedal in here, I want to make some classic flange sounds, nothing weird. I don't care about chorus AT ALL. I don't know how it sounds in flanger mode due to the poor demos in youtube, they don't try out very much that mode. Maybe it is an awesome Flanger, but I don't know at all.
    Please I don't know what to buy, and that sucks really bad.
    I'll consider any other options that you may sugest.
    Thanks, I'll apreciate any reply that helps me.

PD: I don't have the chance of try out any of them...

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    if you want something compacted and versatile, the mooer eleclady would be a good choice. This pedal is modeled after the ehx stereo electric mistress and I've read a review saying that it works well on bass. I'm thinking of purchase one myself.

splattermaster likes this.
  3. splattermaster

splattermaster

Jul 19, 2013
    Yep, I heard about that pedal, but isn't it Digital??

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    according to the mooer website, this pedal is analog. I've only heard how it sounds on guitar. Despite that, it's really a good sounding flanger pedal. It's pretty versatile for a small pedal. I wish someone would demo this pedal on bass.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  5. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    After going through tons of flangers I use the Boss BF-2 (Indonesia not Japan) and the MXR M-83.
    They are the best two as far as I am concerned. I do not think you will find better despite the fact that they are already off your list.

6. splattermaster

splattermaster

Jul 19, 2013
    I'm inclined to the MXR Bass Chorus, my only concern is if I can get a "classic" flanger vibe out of it. If so, I'm on my way to buy one today.

7. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    What's a classic flanger vibe?
    Define what you are looking for tone wise, please.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    another good choice for a flanger pedal is a t.c electronics vortex flanger. I've been checking out YouTube clips of that pedal on bass and it sounded pretty cool. If you wanted another choice for a flanger pedal, check out the vortex flanger.

9. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Supporting Member

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I could make you a clip of the MXR chorus in Flanger mode.
    I love it.
    My other modulators are Electric Mistress, Small Stone and Small clone as a reference

10. splattermaster

splattermaster

Jul 19, 2013
    mmmm... The best example of sounds that I want to achieve is Negasonic Teenage Warhead by Monster Magnet (I know that is a guitar with the flanger effect) but that exactly what I want to do in a couple of songs.

That would be awesome! and a great help. I did a research but couldn't find any good videos or soundclips of the flanger mode of the BCD.

11. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    To my ears, the guitar is using a MXR Phase 90 or MXR EVH90. To get that sort of extreme flanging on bass, I would try an ADA Flanger Reissue. It's the most extreme flanger I have tested. You might find however that it is hard to get this tone on bass. Frequencies on bass don't lend themselves to that. I would try to put a distortion or perhaps a fuzz in front of the flanger to accentuate the effect. Last thought; this tone will sound good by itself but will get lost in the mix in a band situation.

12. splattermaster

splattermaster

Jul 19, 2013
    The guy is using an ADA flanger, the old one. I don't have room for an ADA reissue, and it's quite expensive in comparation with other flangers. Also I will use it in a couple of songs. Getting lost in band mix, is not a problem, because I use it on passages when only the drums and I we're playing(currently I'm using a EVH Phase90 to get a "similar" sound). For sure I would couple it with a Fuzz. Most of my modulations, go with fuzz (phase, rotary sim, tremolo). But, I tell you that I am very decided to the BCD, probably picking one next week.

13. JustSomeDude

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cxwkbjwbpm8u7y/MXR Flanger Bass Chords.mp3

This will give you an idea of how it feeds back into itself....all mod pedals are different.
    Adjusting the Bass/Treble controls on the pedal changes the overtones of the Flanging but I left them straight up.
    PBass played with a pick through a B15N with an SM7 Mic.

I'm just playing a loop of a chord drone...
    Starts off with no Effect. Turned on the effect and slowly turned up the intensity. Rate is slow and width is turned up.
    Then I turned the intensity down and engaged the Crossover switch which lets the low end pass through.
    Turned up the intensity again.
    Then last two bars are dry again.

14. splattermaster

splattermaster

Jul 19, 2013
    Thanks man! I listened about 4 times. I'm getting one this week. Thanks man. You did me a great favor. I'm very grateful. My quest has come to an end.

15. to put it simple, the mxr bass chorus deluxe's flanger mode is useful, imo. i'm looking forward to owning it one day. btw, i demo'd the pedal at a sam ash. i've recently tryed a boss flanger, it's not the same. the flanger does sound better than the chorus mode and i agree that the youtube videos suck. idk if it's the sound you are looking for.

16. JustSomeDude

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I totally disagree that the Flanger sounds better than the Chorus mode.
    But that's why there are so many different Chorus pedals out there.

The Chorus does a great job at the Nirvana and Police type tones as well as subtle smoothing Chorus using the XOver mode with low intensity.
    I've used it on 2 records in the last two weeks.