Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about 6 string bass !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marcusmiller, Nov 10, 2003.

1. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    Hello
    I want to buy a 6 string bass guitar but i live in Turkey so i can not have a ucstom made one.
    My QUESTION IS :
    I want very small frets and strings CLOSE to easch other (like STEINBERGER bass guitars)
    What brands do u suggest me ?

PS:--Can i put E-A-D-G-B-E strings like guitar order instead of B-E-A-D-G-C ?????????
    ---I know 6 strings are great for soloing but would it be cool if i put very light gauge strings and play chords on it like guitar as well ?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Depend on your budget, but some basses like Ibanez have a very close string spacing.
    Also, more expensive, I heard that the modulus have a close string spacing.
    Also, you might consider JP he is in europe and could probably build you a six string with a close spacing (if he is not on vacation yet!).

For the tuning, you can tune it the way you want!
    You might need a new nut and a new set up also.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The majority of inexpensive to moderately-priced sixers have tight string spacing-it's actually much harder to find ones with wide spacing. And yes, you can tune you bass EADGBE like a guitar, but make sure to use the proper string gauges (not just tuning up the C string to an E), and you may need to do a setup job and have a new nut cut and put in, as the one in the bass you buy will probably be cut to fit a BEADGC setup.

4. I believe that Fender makes (or at least made) a 6 that was just a big guitar tuned an octave down. Whammy bar and all. Don't know how common they are, though.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Ibanez would definitely be a consideration. The BTB 6 string is a great bass.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yeah, the Bass VI. They made them for a few years back in the 60s, pre-CBS, I think, and reissued them from Japan in the early 90s I think. The reissues tend to cost and the original ones are even worse. 30" scale, basically an upsized guitar based on a Jazzmaster.

OLP and a few companies make baritone guitars with scale lengths around 30-- you could get a set of Bass VI or so strings for the E-e tuning and try that out one on of them. I think DR makes the best set-- the actual fender strings are dang near impossible to intonate on the VI, I don't know how good they'd be on the others. The OLP one was IIRC about $200 USD from musician's friend.

7. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    do u think i can be able to find a HIGH E string for bass ? Or can i tune my C to E ? guess not.

8. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    Who is JP ?
    Can u give me the web address of the MODULUS site ? Most sites dont ship to Turkey = (
    Does Steinberger have 6 string basses as well ?

In a 2 people makin music situation (one playing guitar - one playin bass and sing ) do u think
    its better to use my Steinberger 5 for low end or to put light gauge strings to my fender jazz and solo better on it ??

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my main tuning on my 7 strings is b-e-a-d-g-b-e. i use a .027" for the high e, they're pretty common, made by dean markley.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    www.jpbasses.com

11. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    Where can i find 7 string basses then ?
    John : What bass do u have ass 6 string ?
    Oh God it must be diff to stretch hands in order to play it. No ?
    What brands make 6 and 7 string basses ?
    Conklin ? what is their site ?