Question about Amp and Cab combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by strummer21, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Sorry if this is obvious to everyone but me, but I have sort of a beginners rig and have a question. I have a GK Backline 250head (only 125 watts but sounds much louder) running into a Carvin PS15 cab (1 15" speaker 400 watts @ 8 ohms). I like my tone, but notes played on the E string are significantly louder than the other strings regardless of the settings that I mess with on the head (turning up the hi-mid, for example). Is this pretty much because it is only a 15" speaker that is supplying all of the output? If I need to get a new cab and amp, what do you recommend I get for a good all around SINGLE cab that I can use to play small to medium size gigs. Is a 1x 15 OK, or would a 4x 10 or 2 x 12 be a better all purpose cab? I play alt/rock and have an active p/u bass.

Thanks for any help.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I wouldn't think this is the head, really.

First think I'd do is make sure my EQ was flat - or even boost the mids a bit. If this GK head has what MY old GK head does, make sure that all the EQ Contour buttons are out (off).

If that doesn't do it, take a look at your bass - - make sure the pickups aren't overly close to the E string.

The very very last thing you should do is start spending money.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that. Eq flat, 'cept for a slight mid bump, contour off. An 8 ohm 2x10 added to what you've got would, (I think), give more power. Certainly more volume, if you want it. (I don't know much about GK's Backline amps) I'm pretty sure the amp runs full at 4 ohms, though. And, +1 again, check your pick ups, make sure you have even string balance. Good luck.

4. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Besides playing with the EQ and turning the contour off you may want to either lower on the E side and/or raise the pickup on the G side. Pluck with the same strength and adjust until you volume is close to the same between strings. All my pups are lower on the E string side.

5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

6. I guess what I am really asking is- because I have just a 1x15 speaker does that make the the lower end "seem" louder because it is a larger speaker and I have no tweeter. Incidentally, the pickup is even and there isn't a problem with the bass, the head or the cabinet. It is more an observation and I'm just wondering if i had just a 4x10 would the mid highs sound louder/fuller because of the smaller speaker size? Am I making sense?

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Ah yes you would get better mids and mid highs from a 410, also faster response (attack).

8. nate4178

nate4178

Jan 30, 2009
    Like the others said, I would definitely check your pickup height. I've also found out that 10" speakers have a tighter, more punchy sound than a 15". They'll still hit the lows, but have a better mids and highs.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You have an observation but little experience.

Everyone who has posted is telling you that there is a problem. For one string to be louder than the others, it's usually some adjustment.

Maybe the pickup should not be even. If you're not familiar with setting up a bass, have a pro check yours out. Raising the G string side may help. Lowering the E string side may help.

Try turning off all the bass tone from your amp/bass. Add it back a little bit and listen. Maybe try running passive if you can.

Adding a 4x10 or some other cab won't necessarily fix your problem since they will be full range cabinets as well. They may add some mids but most 4x10s will add a ton of low end as well, possibly magnifying your problem.

You could possibly take the head to a music store and try it with a bunch of different cabs and see if that makes a difference.

10. I have a Ibanez SR-500 and the Active Bartolini Pickups are terrible for just that they seem way more efficient on the E and G Strings while the A and D strings are much more subltle.
    I have tried adjusting the height but they are a soap bar style so you can only do so much,I have found that certain Tube Preamps and cabinets that have any kind of midscoop are a terrible combination.
    I also owned a SR-505 and I have had a chance to demo other basses with the Bartolini's in them and I have found the same issue,I dont know if it is in the wood or the pickup but it is possible to just have very mismatched gear for the Tone that you desire.
    When I plug in My Schecter with Stock EMG Pickups I get Great Articulation on every Fret.
    Try different gear and take everybody's advice and try to adjust it out.
    I have also found that if I set my Pickup balance knoe to 50/50 for bridge and neck pickup then I can use the 3 way EQ to get a little bit better sound out of my A and D string,I also put on a good used a string that was .005 thicker and that seemed to help a little also.

11. davecanady

davecanady Guest

Aug 24, 2008
    I'm not an amp engineer and don't play one on TV but I have had an issue like that with one of my amps. Every frequence is managed with filters to get the sound that company wants of out its amp. From the factory setting we are provided EQ and presence knobs to adjust to our ear, the cab, the room... If one of the filters (resisters?) goes bad, it can send the full amount of a specific frequence through unmanaged. More than pups, it sounds like an issue with the head. Mine was not an expensive fix but get a good repair estimate first. You can pick up a 350 on Craig's List for $100-$125. Don't spend $150 to get it fixed.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021