Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 30, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my "quick gig" amp is a trace elliot ah600smx. on friday we were playing a gig at the masquerade here in atlanta and the amp took a walk on me. what happened is this - when i set up i put the instrument cable into the jack on the amp only about 1/4 of the way, and then the other edge i put in the ledge under the amp.

turns out this gig, in my haste, i plugged the cable all the way in. when i turned the amp on i got a loud buzz - very loud - and then nothing. dead. i checked the fuse, and it was fine.

i obviously shorted the input. is it possible that that is the cause of the problem? just looking for some educated opinions here, more of an academic issue, since i intend on getting the amp repaired regardless.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    which "instrument cable" are you referring to? gtr>pre? Pre>amp? amp>cab? if it was amp>cab then I'd say ya, you shorted the amp and its gone...

NEVER plug things in part-way.

3. John, sounds like you had a dead short in the circuit somewhere. Where your cables shielded or speaker cable?

Let us know what your tech says!

;) Treena

4. It sounds like your preamp got line voltage on its input. That will certainly fry the input buffer of the preamp. Maybe the tip of the open end of the instrument cable touched the casing of the amp while the amp itself wasn't properly grounded.

Ah well, just guessing.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this is what i'm thinking happened. the issue was that it _wasn't_ plugged in half way, it was plugged in all the way, accidentally, and the other end of the chord accidentally touched the case of the amp.

over 9 years of using the amp the same way 4 or 5 times a week, gigs and rehearsals, with no problems, and it shows it's ugliness at probably our biggest gig so far. sigh.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the instrument cable that goes from the instrument to the amp. :) this amp is an integrated pre/power amp, and i use dedicated speaker leads from the amp to the cabs.

as i said, the issue wasn't with plugging it in half way, but with thinking it was in halfway when it was in all the way.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Have you talked to Bakos yet? I heard that he is the pro that does a bunch of work for Jimmy Herring and various other cats in the area... Supposedly Superb work on amps.

He is on Ponce near the corner of Monroe next to Clark Music/Pawn shop.

Good luck my brother,

How'd the rest of the gig work out?

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I used Bakos for my Mesa Walkabout before it blew up (don't ask--another story for another day).

Don't expect it back quickly if you take it to Jeff, though. Turnaround time is about 6-8 weeks.

It will be fixed when you get it back, though.

Logical Audio on Mtn Industrial is another option. They fixed my Vbass when it blew up (again, don't ask). They also do good work on amps.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Umm? :D

JT, Also CTG (comprehensive technical group, near Defoors Hills, in the Chatt Ind Park): 404-352-3000. There are some ex-Wizard cats working there... solid company though, Fast turn around, not like Wizard! (IM'H'O)

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, ctg worked on this amp before, about 5 years ago. a bit pricey, but good guys. i've used them for work a few times. that's probably where the amp will end up going.