1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about ashdown amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoppebass, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Hi, I'm an amateur and recently got an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 combo amp. I love it, but I'm curious about 1 thing: it has a 15" speaker in the cabinet, then to the lower right of that is a hole. What's the purpose of the hole? I have a couple of other simpleton questions if anyone wants to have a dialogue with a novice. Thanks!
  2. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

    Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm not familiar with this combo but I can tell you what they are on most cabs. If its not there from damage :p then it is a tuning port to help give the driver/cab the proper frequency reponse and/or tonal characteristics that the designer of the cab wants it to have. I know its a generic answer but thats it in a nutshell. What else is on your mind?

    Oh yea, BTW welcome to TB! :D
  3. well yeah, cant really comment more that what Kelly_Lee said, but yeah, thats usually about it

    cabs can be split into 2 catagories, ported and unported, both give different sounds, altho it does also have alot to do with everything else in the cab too
  4. Thanks for the responses. The hole is definitely meant to be there; there's molded plastic around it. there's nothing behind it but the back of the cabinet. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't supposed to be a tweeter or something there. I'm always suspicious when buying any instruments because there are so many things I still don't know.

  5. It's simply a port - there for the tuning purposes of the cabinet!

    Welcome to TB!