1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about functionality of Sub'N'Up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JACink, Nov 9, 2018.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I have seen multiple reviews and demos of this pedal, but I haven't come across the answer to my question yet, maybe one of you Sub'N'Up users (or anyone really) could help me out?

The toggle switch has three positions, Poly/Toneprint/Classic.

When in Toneprint mode, I understand that this uses whatever "patch" you have saved to the pedal.

However, when you set the switch to "Poly" or "Classic", does this override the toneprint setting completely?

In other words, if you change the functions assigned to the knobs in Toneprint to some other function, do they go back to their normal function when in "Poly" or "Classic" mode?

Also, one other thing, if you change the knobs positions in "Poly" or "Classic", then switch to "Toneprint", will it default to your original "Patch" or will it be the patch plus whatever changes you made the knobs?

I am just wondering if it is easy to have two different settings, on in Toneprint and one in Classic, and just use the switch to change between them or if some tweaking will always be needed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    I am quite sure that is just the stock function of the switch, but that the 3 modes can be assigned to any presets via the toneprint app.
    Not absolutely 100% sure as I own the Mini version that doesn't come with a switch.

3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had one briefly.

Toneprint = whatever print you loaded, and the knobs' functions correspond to that toneprint's settings.

Poly and Classic = voicings are set in the pedal (you can't assign different prints to these like you could on a Source Audio pedal, for instance) and the knobs do what they are labeled to do.

i believe that in all three switch modes, what you see is what you get on the knobs, so if your favorite Poly setting on the knobs and your favorite Print setting on the knobs are different, you'll have to turn the knobs to where they sound good again, when you switch between the modes. That is to say, I don't think the toneprint stores knob positions, just knob functions.

JACink likes this.
  4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks @DDXdesign , I am thinking about picking up a sub'n'up mini for the octave up (for use when looping) and was wondering if the non-mini would give me a quick flip between octave up and octave down, when needed, with the toggle. If I have to twist knobs anyway it sort of defeats the object.

However, if you say that the knobs are only custom assigned when in toneprint mode, I guess I could assign them to something I don't use in the print mode and then they wouldn't do anything.

I don't know if that's possible, just thinking out loud here.

5. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Check out the EHX Pitchfork. Octave up, down or both (along with numerous other intervals) with a flip of a switch.

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks but I am looking for a clean (natural) sounding octave up and the Pitchfork (from what I have seen online) seems to be a bit more synthy than the sub'n'up.

I will probably just get the sub'n'up mini and a different pedal for octave down if I end up needing it.

7. I feel the opposite with the Sub n Up that replaced a Pitch Fork. The Sub n Up tracks pretty well, but the problem I have is the whole thing sounds muuuuch more digital to me.

8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the input @isher1992 .

So you don't feel that the clean octave up on the PF sounds more natural than the SubnUp?

The demos I have seen (admittedly there aren't many) seem to point to the opposite. When the PF is set to 100% wet it seems to be very synthy (to my ears).

9. Oh no, I prefer the octave up on the Pitch Fork. Also, one thing that drives me crazy on the Sub N Up is even the dry signal sounds very digital. To me, the octave up on the Sub N Up doesn't sound natural...it just sounds like a digital octave up with treble rolled off.

I'm trying to emulate 8-string sounds and the Pitch Fork sounds better for that to me. The dry blend actually sounds...well, dry. Its probably digital, though, it just doesn't sound as much like it.

10. I also really don't like the TonePrint editor. I did at first, now I just find it annoying because of how much it can adjust...on a laptop. Still stuck with preset toneprints on a tablet. And TCE doesn't seem too keen on finally giving the full editor to a mobile platform. Or at least, parts of it. I also have trouble "beaming" when the pedal is on my board with a buffer ahead of it. Its a YMMV situation.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    How does the Octave Up on the Sub or PitchFork compare to the MicroPog? Which is most natural sounding?

12. I don't really have an answer, to be honest. But I like the PitchFork out of all three of them the most. Mainly because the dry signal didn't sound artificial.

13. I had both Subnup the bigger 4 knob ons and now the mini, i like the mini better sounds good and less to mess with. in other words it is simple for my simple mind' IMG_20181008_204115737.

14. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    SnU has analog dry thru.

The dry signal is completely unaffected by the pedal, so if your dry sound seems ‘digital sounding’, it’s because of something else.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  15. Does it? Huh.

I stand corrected then.

tfer likes this.