1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question About Lollipop Tuners On Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ctufankjian, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    It's always been my understanding that the oval lollipop tuners came on transitional period Fender basses, or instruments from 65/66. I'm wondering if it would be possible for an instrument stamped 1968 to come equiped with these keys. I have a bass that's stamped 1968, and has these, and otherwise resembles an earlier post CBS bass. The logo is the earlier version etc. Has anyone ever seen these tuners on basses made later than 1966?
    :eyebrow:

2. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's very possible. Fender employees would generally randomly reach into a box for parts, as needed. There are all sorts of Fenders constructed with parts from different years of manufacture.

Because of this, a bass with a serial number of xxx678 might actually be older than one with a number of xxx237.

3. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Pics

Fender1.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes these were used well into 1968.

One Drop likes this.
  5. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm sure you can imagine how siked I am to hear that!

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Yep i have seen a few jazz basses like that and alot of early tele basses with lolli's

7. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That's a real beautiful Precision you got there, it has quite a few of the early details left over. I'd sure like to know if it still has a C width neck, or a B neck.
    It for sure has the transition logo that coincides with the tuners. About mid 68 is when Fender came out with the B width neck, the big TV headstock logo, and the tuners changed from ovals to elephant ears.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I had a '68 Precision that had lollipops that were original. While I had the bass, I did a little bit of research around the internet, and the impression I got was that it was more Precisions that received these at a later date, while Jazzes got them more around '66.

lazycat93 likes this.
  9. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Lovely bass you have ctufankjian... super!

10. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Which is wider at the nut? B or C. I've had several p basses from the 70's and I found the nut to be much wider.

11. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The C is wider at nut, thinner front-to-back.
    The B is skinnier at nut, thicker front-to-back.

12. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I always liked the look of those lolly's!

Fender_Bender likes this.
  13. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    68Mustang1_sm1.JPG

This is my 1968 Mustang.

godofthunder59 and JIO like this.
  14. I have heard that there were a few showing up as late as 1969.

15. Bass_Kiwi

Bass_Kiwi

Mar 31, 2012
    Guys I have a question - are there any Lollipop tuners, that will fit in my 51 Precision Reissue (Japan) and E and A mechanics are reversed? I love these shape of tuners, but I dont know, if exists what I´m looking for... Thanks for any advice.

16. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    My '68 Precision (Jan 68 neck date) came with a B-width neck, the older style smaller decal and lollipop tuners.

If anyone is interested I have an as-new set of Hipshot HB2 lollipops for sale for $50 shipped. Will fit 1967-82 Fender basses or reissues from that era. PM me if interested, I'll post in the TB Classifieds as soon as I can take some pictures. Here's the info from the Hipshot site:

HB2 Lollypop > Store > Hipshot Products.

17. Are those chrome or cadmium plated?

18. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    Lollipop tuners were on jazz basses from 1965 and on precision basses from 1967 until Fender switched to Schaller 'elephant ears' tuners in 1968. I read somewhere that lollipops were manufactured in-house by Fender. Perhaps someone will confirm that

19. Bass_Kiwi

Bass_Kiwi

Mar 31, 2012
    Nobody knows? :(

20. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    As far as I know, all the Japanese '51 P reissues came with the reverse-wind pre-CBS style reissue tuners, which have a different hole pattern than the lollipop tuners. The lollipops have the same hole pattern as the "elephant ear" tuners of the late '60s and '70s. If you really want lollipops, you can drill new holes in the headstock for them, and the lollipops' base plates will cover up the old holes (FYI).

Also, the lollipops are not reverse-wind, but they will still work on your bass regardless if it has reverse tuners installed now.