1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about P/J wiring.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Warrioralex, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Warrioralex

Warrioralex

Jul 29, 2011
    Sorry if my English isn't very good, but i will do my best.

I need to know if i can change the wiring of my bass for a different one. The one i have actually is a P/J wiring with 2 volumes and 2 tones ( i think ) with a 3 toggle switch. Can i change the wiring for one with 1 volume, 1 tone and the toggle switch ? If you have the wiring shema, it would be much appreciated!! thank you :bassist:

2. Warrioralex

Warrioralex

Jul 29, 2011
    Please?

3. 4365822719_b461b36989_o.

4. Warrioralex

Warrioralex

Jul 29, 2011
    ?

5. -

6. Warrioralex

Warrioralex

Jul 29, 2011
    this schema is not very clear for me :(

7. What is unclear about it?

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Use this. Just substitute the P/J pickups for the humbuckers.

[​IMG]

9. Warrioralex

Warrioralex

Jul 29, 2011

10. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    Not sure if you got your answer or if it matters, but it may help if you say which bass you are attempting to rewire, whether it's active or passive. I'm assuming it's an active PJ bass.

11. 95% of the time, PJs are passive.

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    82.74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

13. Probably much more than 95%, actually.

Active pickups are a rarity, and preamps don't tend to appeal to P bass players.

14. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Is it normal to have active pickups on a cheap bass?

15. Warrioralex

Warrioralex

Jul 29, 2011
    it's a passive pickups.

16. Active pickups are relatively rare.

EMG and MEC are the main options, as well as a few Seymour Duncan pickups. EMG's budget pickups are passive, and MEC pickups are very expensive. I believe some Ibanez basses do have active pickups, however. On a cheap bass, you are likely to have passive pickups, with or without a low quality preamp.

17. Warrioralex

Warrioralex

Jul 29, 2011
    wich pots i should use for this shema? 250k or 500k? and what is the green thing with 047 cap written on?

18. 250k is traditional. 500k would be a little brighter.

That's a film capacitor. 0.047uF or 47nF. Any non-polarized cap will work, but get a decent one.

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Sorry to hijack, but... ;)

That was my belief (after many hours of TB) but I have this cheap (less than 150€) that uses a 9V but only has wires and the pots inside the control cavity! Is it possible that the preamp is "hidden" elsewhere?

There´s a thread I started about a "refurb" on it here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/best-way-do-834136/

To OP: I really do apologize for hijacking your thread!! :D

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    If it uses a 9v battery the question would be WHAT is is running? I'd guess the answer is to try to see where the power lead from the battery is going. If it goes to the pickups then they are active and the "preamp" is hidden inside the pickups. Otherwise just try to figure where that power is going.