Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about power output / ohms

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nuno A., Oct 29, 2003.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello everybody..
    Last week i played with an Ampeg Portabass and i really liked it..it sounded good and pretty light rig...since i dont see myself in the next times affording EA stuff, this can be a good solution for me...but i have a question.
    The head output is rated at 250 W at 4 ohms and 150 at 8 ohms,which means that if i buy a 4 ohms speaker i will have 250 W..so far so good...the problem is with the combo amp.
    The combo output is rated exactly the same, 250 W at 4 ohms and 150 W at 8 ohms...
    So if i buy this combo and want to have 250 W what can i do??? Do i need an extra speaker for the 4 ohms load??
    Thanks in advance, probably the answer is pretty simple but i this is only my 3rd cup of coffe today and still cant get it..
    Thnaks a lot

NUNO

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    As far as I've read the manual(s), the internal speaker cab is 4 ohms already, so you can either use an external cab OR the internal one.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Thanks guys....
    And yes Samuel, theres a lotta stuff in that thread thats way beyond my knowledge,,,guess i better go practice .

NUNO