Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about replacing tweeters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 7, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm toying with the idea of replacing the tweeter in my Genz Benz 610T-XB2 cabinet. I just think I'm having to push it too much for a decent pop and clank. The idea of an SWR tweeter has passed my mind. SWRs cabs have always had the treble I love and I think it'd help me achieve more of the sound I'm looking for. Can anyone give me some other good ideas for replacement tweeters or tell me where I can purchase an SWR style foster horn?

~Patrick

2. I believe Fender sells them, but it may be expensive. I bought a tweeter diaphram from them it was about $40

Email their customer service with a price check at: swrcustserve@fenderusa.com

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You'll probably want to know more about the cabinet as it is now to get noticably better results than you're getting now.

You'll want to know what frequency the drivers are crossed over at, or at least have a rough idea. If possible, you want a tweeter with a Resonant Frequency(fs) such that the crossover frequency occurs 2-4 times above it, in terms of Hz. With a driver that has an fs of 1000hz, a crossover point from 2000-4000hz would be ideal. There's a lot of info about this sort of thing online, even on this forum; hopefully that'll get you on track.

Also, you'll want to match the relative SPLs of your 1 tweeter to that of your 6 10" speakers. Basically, is it going to be loud enough? You feel like you're driving your current one too hard, so do your homework on this. Tweeters generally have high output though, and many will do the job.

Check the impedance! Make sure you're not changing the impedance of the speaker(tweeter) load -at least, not making it lower-

Sites like Partsexpress.com have a variety of speakers available that will do the job, and the prices aren't bad. What size is the hole you'll be filling? Are you able/willing to change the hole to accomodate a certain driver? There are many questions to answer.

4. If you want truly ear-splitting highs from a horn, look at the bullet titanium tweeters that are available from Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3 is the link. The lowest efficiency of the three tb tweeters they sell is 106 dB/1w/1m. The highest is 112.

YOW!!

5. Try a Selenium HM-11 horn,part #264-306 with a Selenium DH200E-E titanium compression driver,part #264-225 from Parts Express.The horn is 4.52"by 4.52" square and will fit where a foster type tweeter goes with a little cutting.The driver has a 1.75" diaphram and 1,500-20,000 hz.response,much smoother than a Foster.The horn runs $8.95 and the driver$32.35 so you have a little over $40 invested and a much better horn/driver combo than nearly any stock tweeters. The horn has a 1200hz cutoff and the driver has a fairly large voice coil so the crossover in the Genz Benz should be fine with this setup.I put one in my Avatar 410 Neo with a 3500hz Eminence highpass crossover and It's the best high end I've ever had in a cabinet.I can crank the attenuator all the way up and it just sings.

6. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I've heard that SWR use a very high crossover frequency leaving a gap in the upper midrange. As an inexpensive alternative you might wan't to move the crossover frequency up to around 4-6k and see if it sounds better to you.