1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom e smith, Apr 14, 2009.

1. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    I blew one of my speakers in my GK SBX 410 (8 ohm cab 400 watts). I replaced two of the speakers (the blown one and it's mate) with comparable speakers (same ohms only 150 watts instead of 100) and it sounds great. My question is, the new speakers are better quality and sound louder than the other two original speakers. That in itself doesn't concern me as the overall sound is greatly improved. Oh, I also run a SBX 115. Okay back to my question...do you think this will hurt anything. The only difference is the new speakers are higher wattage which I understand matters little. I just want to make sure I am not hurting anything.

I use a GK 700rbII head.:meh:

2. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Won't hurt a thing as long as they are the same ohms as the originals. If they aren't, then the only possible problem would be that your cabinet will not be the same ohms as it was originally, which could possibly cause your amp to overheat if the cabinet has a lower impedence then it did originally.

BTW, the amount of wattage they handle will not make them sound louder. Instead, they probably have a hgher efficiency then the old speakers.

Oops. Just read your post again. Disregard all the talk about ohms.

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Being that the SBX 410 is sealed, you stand a much better chance of lucking into a replacement speaker that sounds good. With vented/ported, there is a little more math involved to get the tuning right. I have that same cab with the stock speakers. I have replaced my 2x10 RBH with some B&C neos and I absolutely love it and have been thinking of replacing the 4 drivers in my SBX too.
    You aren't going to damage anything by having mismatched speakers, but there is a chance that you might have slight cancellation of certain frequencies by having that frequency being produced by 3 different drivers. If it sounds good, then it sounds good, and I wouldn't worry about it.
    Wes