Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about TAB's

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by steveNoshoW, Sep 28, 2005.

1. steveNoshoW

steveNoshoW

Sep 26, 2005
    Hi ive been writting my own TAB's recently and i had this question

G--------------------------------------------|
    D---------------------------1111---4444--
    A-----------1111--2222--------------------
    E---1111------------------------------------

now do i wait 3 seconds before playing the E1 string or do i wait 3 beats?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You wrote it. I think that entitles you to wait as long as you want.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

LOL!!

I think it depends on whether you're playing with a stop-watch or a metronome!! ;)

Or maybe he's deciding on a reasonable time to allow the audience shouts of : "author, author,bravo, etc." , to quieten down....? :meh:

:p

4. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    There is no "Time Keeping" the way TAB is popularly written. Attempting to use the dashes to do so can be tough to do as there are too many variables. ;)

5. steveNoshoW

steveNoshoW

Sep 26, 2005
    hehe yeah i kno but i really commonly see the --- before thje number i was curious if it was beats or time like 3 seconds before i hit the string

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Might I suggest you re-post this in the Tablature section (or ask a Mod to move it for you) ........

You're treading in dangerous water in this forum :rolleyes:

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    The hyphens serve no purpose other than allowing you to know which string you're on. Generally tablature does not have references to time signature or rhythmic feel(some do, but I"m not going into it).

Basically, you just know what notes to hit...it's up to you or the song you're working on to determine when to hit those notes.

8. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    What do 'you' think it means? Maybe you need to do some reading on tablature. Believe it or not, tablature pre-dates standard notation - just a bit of trivia. The tick marks are just space holders, and would be lines if you could draw them, but people use keyboards, so they've become '-'. I would look at tablature in a magazine or book and you'll see they're just replacing a line.

Good luck.

9. You could also learn to read and write notation. :bag:

10. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    Amen. The very existence of this thread proves the uselessness of tab.

11. Alot of us refer to that as an F. :D

Honestly, just sit down with your bass and the song in question in the discojammer and figure it out. You'll be that much the wiser for it.

12. Bruce Lindfield

But that's impossible in this case, as he said in the first post that he had written this himself!! :p

13. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm pretty sure this thread is a joke, and you are all suckers for falling for it.

:)

14. My bad. Everyone point and laugh at the idiot thehurlatron. :bawl:

But the general idea behind my post still stands.

If this is indeed a joke, than I have fallen for it. It's just not surprising some of the questions I see here on talkbass.

15. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    There is only 1 E string on a bass, so I guess we'd assume you meant the E string, 1st fret. This is best said as "F on the E string" or "F on the bottom string". It's a good idea to learn all 12 notes from the open string to the 12th fret on all of your strings. Otherwise, you may have trouble down the road communicating what you want played with other musicians. (Note, drummers are not musicians, because they don't know keys and notes. <- bad joke.)

16. steveNoshoW

steveNoshoW

Sep 26, 2005
    no its not a joke im really new to all of this and just wanted input im not the smartest guy when it comes to music but im trying my best to learn it with the resources i have available to me cant afford lessons and i work 11 hrs a day 6 days a week so with the time i have i try my best to utilize it for music thanks for your replys guys and sorry if it caused any mis understanding im just a new guy to the forums trying to understand music

17. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

lol...

Tab is only used as a reference for what note to use. It has no timing significance (well, it can, but to me it's uselss). I don't even take note of how many times I need to play that note - I ad-lib that bit (use my ear).

I sooooo need to learn how to apply my standard notation knowledge to my bass :| I'm getting there though!

18. Punctuation, please!

19. Bruce Lindfield

But Tab doesn't have punctuation.....;)