1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Thunderbird basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waidonchasaisew, May 1, 2010.

1. So, I was wondering what bassists used the Thunderbird professionally? Gibson or Epiphone.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Main one who first got me interested in thunderbird bass was Wishbone Ash back in the early 70's.

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    John Entwistle of The Who, Simon Gallup from The Cure, bloke from Kings of Leon.

There are plenty more, but those are the first three that I thought of.

Oh, I assume Nikki Sixx as he has a signiature edition..

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    shavo of system of a down. i personally dont like tbirds. i love the tone but they are heavy and the neck shape is huge and doesnt taper down in size at the neck. i like the shape of a fender j bass neck more.

5. ahh really? I'm surprised. It doesn't seem that..."hardcore"

I don't like the neck because it is freakin long and heavy (I'm a 5'4, no armstrangth 17 yr old asian kid)! My bass has neckdive =P gotta prop it up when I play standing up. I love the j neck, but I can't afford a jbass right now. Saving for college and a trip to japan.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    You might look here, as this was posted a short time back, many famous bassists play Thunderbirds. And BTW the neck on a Gibson is much smaller than an Epiphone or a Jazz......Nor do they have any of the Epi's balance issues.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648413

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i always loved Overend Watts' tone in Mott the Hoople on a TBird.

8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    the epi thunderbird pro 4 has a very slim neck and appears to have a lot less neck dive.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I might have to give the gibson a chance i loved the tone of the epiphone tbird but hated the neck and neck dive.

10. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    pete way of ufo used to use a gibson but now uses an epiphone live.

11. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    Leon Wikeson (Lynyrd Skynyrd). Chris Squire (at least on 'Release,Release' off of the Tormato album. John Entwhistle.

12. I own a T-bird IV pro. the neck dive is amazing -_-
    it might be slightly less than the non-pro version, but nonetheless, it has neckdive.

13. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    I own a Thunderbird, i've got used to the neck dive, and if you eliminate the neckdive problem it's an awesome guitar, the old bassist of 30 seconds to mars (now new angels and airwaves bassist) used to use a tbird

Apparently you can eliminate the neckdive on the epi model if you put the strap pin on the edge of the neck pocket, havent tried this yet though

14. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    Nikki Sixx, Kings of Leon bassist, the bassist in Silversun pickups...

15. TedhHernstrom

TedhHernstrom

Apr 10, 2010
    Jared Followill from Kings of Leon have used 3 T-birds since 2005, a Vintage White, a Alpine White and a Ebony.

16. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Sean Yseult of White Zombie pops up with a 'Bird now and then.
    Algy Ward of Tank uses T-Birds almsot exclusively.
    As someone said earlier, Pete Way of UFO prefers Epis nowadays (for the fatter tone).
    There's a lot more that have been covered in this thread so far.

17. sspu06.

Nikki Monninger of The Silversun Pickups. Love the band, and her tone is amazing.

18. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Martin Turner... I totally agree! A stylish, melodic player with a great sound coming out of that T-Bird.