1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about toyota trucks and them retaining their value?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IMAROBIT, Apr 30, 2009.

1. IMAROBIT

IMAROBIT

Feb 1, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Ive been looking around for older 4cylinder toyota pickups and 4 runners, 2wd or 4wd.

Do you think kelly blue book value takes into consideration that toyotas hold their value really well? and do sellers know this and know they can get away with a higher price?

I keep seeing something I like, like a little toyota pickup (basically tacomas, but just called pickup before the tacoma name came around) 2wd, but the sellers are asking for about 750-1000 over the blue book value. the trucks have pretty high mileage too.

Like for instance Im looking at an 88 4runner selling for 2500 on craigslist, but the even the good condition value is 1400.

And when I offer the sellers even a couple bucks over the blue book value, they wont even consider it. The thing is, is I dont even know if the vehicles sell after I look at them.

any opinion appreciated:)

2. There is a following behind those old Toyota trucks. Kinda like Jeeps or Mustangs, just not as big. Thats why they think they can get that much money out of them... Also some guys have toys and their wives want them gone. Those guys just don't want to give up their toys yet, hence the high price tag. Take it from me, The ex-car salesmen. You can trust me. Right?;)

-Joe P.

P.S. when was the last time you saw a '87 Ranger on the road? Yeah, thats another reason why people ask so much for them.

3. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    God. I wanted a toyota so bad when I turned 16. Down here all the models I was looking at were more like 3,000 over blue book. They hold their value very well, and if that's what people are paying, that is what they're worth I guess.

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I see 87 Rangers and a lot from other years past, still in service, and on the roads of Nebraska and Iowa in my local and regional travels. I love my 97 Ranger Super Cab 4x4. It runs great and still looks good too. I do admit that Toyota trucks are awful nice, and do have a good rep. Of course I could ask the same question about any brand of truck from the 80's in any of the rust belt states.

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think there's someone with the last name BMI round here who drives one... :ninja: (unce unce)

6. I believe he has a Dodge.
    th_UnceUnce.

7. IMAROBIT

IMAROBIT

Feb 1, 2009
    Chico, CA
    haha, why would i ever not trust a salesman?;)

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Crap. You're right. I failed against the fail truck.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Very difficult to sneak up on a Toyota or Honda that's below market. It's like the elusive Snow Leopard....

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The difference between a toyota and the unce unce failtruck is that the toyota retains it's value, while the unce unce failtruck is simply priceless.

11. Bombadil

Bombadil

Feb 19, 2009
    Golden, CO
    Yeah...Toyotas and Hondas just run forever and people seem to ask whatever they want for them. I had an 85 4wd pickup that ran for 285,000 miles and currently have a 99 Tacoma with 165,000 and still runs like new and good for at least that many more. I also used to have an 86 4 runner that the ex traded in (it was the only thing she wanted in the divorce) with 330,000 miles. Man I miss that 4 runner.....