1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Bands and Management

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tomydacat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    I have a question for the players in bands/... I am in thought mode with another about starting a company that would rent tour buses at an affordable rate..these buses being old school buses turned into gig worthy buses. is this something you would consider or are all of your gigs close to home?

2. valus

valus

Sep 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    How would you make a bus more "gig-worthy" than any other bus you could currently rent? Or are you trying to hit a lower price point?

Before you do anything, though, contact an insurance broker that carries commercial lines and price out coverage for a rental fleet. My guess is it's not cheap.

3. jimulate

jimulate

Dec 21, 2007
    Berkshire, UK
    I'm in the UK and not sure of the rules in other countries, but the first thing that sprang to my mind was that over here you need a special driving license to drive a bus (or any vehincle that size/weight) which I expect very few musicians will have.

This means that the band would have to hire both the bus and a driver, likely putting the cost over the top of what is feasible (since I see it that the rental needs to be less than the cost of the fuel saved if everyone was travelling individually in their own vehicles).

Jim

4. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    Thanks I will look into these things as well.. Also the bus we have at the moment is an old school bus that we put 4 beds in and AC and large screen TV and the back has a lift for the gear. It uses regular gas and is an automatic bus.

5. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    it also has a couch in it so if you have 5 people in the band 5 people can sleep in it. i believe it also has a fridge and a table

6. FWIW: IMO, starting/building a new small business service/rental that targets musicians as the main clients probably isn’t a very good idea - musicians don't have any money.

Depending on gas mileage and etc, you’d might have better luck renting the bus out as a camper.

Anyway, good luck.

7. valus

valus

Sep 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    It's going to be hard to make a profit on a single bus once you figure in maintenance and repairs, especially WHEN that bus breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you have to pay some podunk weekend/emergency rates to get the bus running again so the lessee can make their gig.

You really need to look into what it takes to run a commercial bus line before you proceed. And like someone else said, the bus may require a driver with a CDL.

8. valus

valus

Sep 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    There's that... :D

9. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    yes i was thinking that very thing.. i guess i was thinking of focusing on like tribute bands and up and coming bands that dont have the funds for a major bus line or major label backing

10. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA

In VA you do not need a commercial license if there are less than 16 passengers.. so i tis considered a shuttle bus sort of . But i will look into the insurance thing as well

11. Yes, it requires a special CDL to drive a bus in CA.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Contact any friends you have in Nashville. I would imagine that would be a good place to find out if there is a market for this service. Unless you were to have several customers lined up it would probably be hard to start off.

13. IMHO, that's a very bad business investment idea.

14. noiseguy

noiseguy

Apr 1, 2013
    You'd want to get a contract of some sort, but you would need to supply a driver with a CDL.

Frankly, a better use of the bus would be driving drunk bachelor / bachelorette parties around to all the bars and strip clubs and back to the hotel. Fees for this service can be substantial... a good use of an end-of-life bus. Make sure to get a damage deposit so you can keep it when someone inevitably pukes in the back.

Otherwise, what you're really getting into is transportation services. Still need a driver, insurance. I'd also provide roadies for load / unload. Find a sophisticated enough band and you might have a value proposition.

15. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    well i will definitely have to look in to many things as i am finding.. and if the bus is a Class 6 vehicle as it doesn't have seats like a bus in most states you do not need a CDL .. insurance is one thing for sure and .. I know it is not the best of times to start a business like this but we are just trying to help bands out.. thanks for the suggestions and info for sure

16. valus

valus

Sep 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I think you're going to find that there's a limited market for what you're trying to sell. The lower level acts don't have money for a bus, and the ones that do are already well served. I'm afraid you'll struggle to profit with a single bus.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Would I consider it? Yes. Could your business be profitable off of it? Not likely. This would have to be a subset of your business and not the driving force behind it.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

Most buses are rentals now, so it's not exactly something that is going to be ground breaking. What is your angle here?

19. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA

well the angle is that the school bus is set up like a tour bus and would not be as expensive as a tour bus. this is not like a school bus at all it is just the shell and motor..we of course would have more than one bus but you have to start somewhere. this as well is only meant to carry band members and maybe a driver

20. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    The up and coming band that I know well runs on very thin profit margins.

What I'd do is contact some up and coming bands and ask them. There won't be too many layers to go through to get to them or their band leaders or their managers. My guess is that if they are a successful band, they know what their margins are and if their budget could take an extra expense that would afford some benefit.

They might even tell you about their current operations and that will allow you to fine tune your product.

Have you seen bandvan.com?