Question For Peavey MiniMega Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XontheP, Sep 20, 2016.

1. XontheP

XontheP

May 24, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I just got a Peavey MiniMega, and absolutely love it. Tone is incredible, for me it's a perfect head. Except, and to me this is a big except, the headphone volume is too low. To buy the MiniMega I sold a TC Electronics BH500 which was my backup/practice amp, and the headphone volume was perfect on that. Kind of wishing I had it back. I have a little Ampeg practice amp and headphone volume is great on that. But on the MiniMega I can dime the volume and gain, and still not have enough headphone volume. It's OK if I'm sitting quietly running scales or something, but if I input a metronome or backing track, it's a struggle to hear the nuances of my playing. I've tried 3 different headphones and a pair of earbuds, and it's better with the earbuds, but I don't want to practice for hours with those things shoved in my head.

Does anyone else have the same problem? I'm not sure if there's a problem with my head, or if this is the nature of the beast. I emailed Peavey, gave them 2 business days, but no reply. This may be a deal breaker for me, there's too many good heads out there to settle for one that doesn't completely meet my needs, or work with a company that's unresponsive to customer issues.

Any input?

2. The designer of the amp is on here. Off the top of my I think his handle is @BbbyBld Pageing Bobby!! You might also go to the minimega minimax threads.

3. WaynerBass

WaynerBass Inactive Suspended

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    Is the fan on the minimega as noisy as the minimax?

4. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    I have one. I use an old pair Sony MDR-V6's and the work fine with the volume at 7.5 and my tablet near max vol.

5. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Don't know about the minimax but the fan on my mega is hardly noticeable in my livin room and not at all on stage.

WaynerBass likes this.
  6. WaynerBass

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    Thanks. I just put the minimega and the 5 button footswitch on my sweetwater card, can't wait to get it!

7. what will you be using for cabs?

8. WaynerBass

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    Right now I have the 410 and 115 fender rumble cabs. The new ones with eminence drivers. Want to get 2 of the new peavey 212 cabs though in the near future

9. WaynerBass

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    Just recieved the Minimega head and the 5 button footswitch. Sat it on top of my cabs, pluged it all in.. I'll grab my bass from the band studio and try it out tonight! I'm excited!
    IMG_1898.JPG

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  10. WaynerBass

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    Played with it for about a half an hour after work. Gain about 1/2, compressor at 9 o'clock, volume 1/3. EQ flat, kosmos off, psych acoustic set at 9 o'clock - this beast has the phattest tone!

Psycho accoustic off and transtube crunch on and it is a pretty convinceable tube amp tone.. I am floored and super stoked!

More of a thorough review coming soon.

kcolyar and wave rider like this.
  11. Musheenhed

Musheenhed

Sep 4, 2016
    Seattle
    This probably isn't the right place for this but can someone tell me what terminals the black and white wires go to on a standard Neutrik connector for a Peavey Minimega?
    I have some older speaker cables that have standard 1/4 inch plugs that I was going to wire up with the Neutriks

12. Musheenhed

Musheenhed

Sep 4, 2016
    Seattle
    What is the Impedance when using both speaker output jacks? I have 4, 8 ohm cabinets. I would like to run each output into a 2x10 cabinet and from the out jack on each 2x10 into 8 ohm 1x15 cabinets. My question is what would impedance be with this configuration? I measured the Impedance of each side with a TOA speaker impedance meter and got 4 ohms each. Will this bring the total load down to 2 ohms or will it be 4 ohms? I'm pretty sure the lowest load the minimega will run safely is 4 ohms.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021