1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for the Talkbass.com owners

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by ES1, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ES1

ES1

Nov 28, 2004
    I am just curious more than anything, why wait until now to start up a Doublebass bluegrass niche? Why wasn't one started in 1998? Since that was the beginning of talkbass.
    No smoke screens please. Thanks so much for answering my questions.
    ES1

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Actually, it hasn't been very long since separate areas were created for specific genres of music. There didn't used to be ANY. When they were created, Bluegrass and Rockabilly were lumped together. The owner and moderators listened to the request(s) of some of the bluegrassers - heard us, and responded. Kudos are due.

3. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    My guess is this. 1998 was 9 years ago and there wasn't as much traffic to the Talkbass site as there has been in recent years. It took a while for us upright players (and everybody else) to get off dialup and get the word around to friends of this valuable resource.

Prior to that time, I'd say the usuage was pretty slow and has just now gotten to the point of sectionalizing the different styles of playing.

I'm glad things are what they are at this point.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I thought it was because it took awhile for bluegrass bassists to figure out why a typewriter was hooked up to a TV....

5. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Well, yeah, that too.

6. Good 'un Ed :D ! Now we are trying to figure out what to do with that bent stick that a horse gave up some purfectly good tail fer and how to archipelagrate them pesky chords :p . I sure would like to make it to the large apple someday and watch you and hear you 'pelagrating some of those jazz chords (honest ... I would :) ).

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Here's yer sign!

8. ES1

ES1

Nov 28, 2004
    So, case in point, Only half of ya that posted actually play bluegrass, and it feels like an obligatory act, rather than an actual attempt to provide a place for bluegrass bassist to discuss their genre. Thanks for the effort, but no thanks.

ES1

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I think the honest answer is that as a classical double bassist, I set up the initial set of forums from my perspective - with orchestral audition and technique forums etc. A jazz forum was added later, and as you know forums continue to be added. My job as the steward of this community is to do what I can to facilitate discussion between bassists of all genres, and to listen to whatever feedback the community is sending my way. Sounds cheesy I know... But it soon became apparent that not only are rockabilly and bluegrassers high enough in numbers here to warrant their own forum, they are enough of a presence here to warrant their own separate forums (as seen in discussion activity since January 07 in the combined forum). When considering a new forum, its benefits are weighed against possible negative results - such as spreading discussion too thin, or creating confusion with too many overlapping forums.

Hope this answers your question :)

10. ES1

ES1

Nov 28, 2004

Its comments that this make it very easy to look elsewhere. Good for you Ed. I had to have someone else type for me too.
    Later

Paul,
    Thank you. I appreciate you noticing the little niche, of a niche, of a niche. Bluegrass bassist.

ES1

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You seem very bitter.
    You should try rockabilly sometimes.

12. Thanks Hi-Rev Zulu :) .... to which sign are you referring?

1) "Seeking qualified Double Bass Instructor. Must be proficient in teaching arco technique and music theory, especially arpeggiation and improvisational techniques. Must like cows. Inquire Within."

or 2) "2 Kay Basses for Sale. Can't figure out how to play the big sob's, my car's too small to fit them in, and my wrists and fingers are killing me. Inquire Within." :D

Thanks Paul for creating a bluegrass spot. I understand your perspective and the evolution of TalkBass. Since I joined a year ago, I have seen a lot of positive growth. To You and The Moderators ... Keep Up the Good Work. I'll try to check in regularly. I've learned a ton of good info in all of the different forums.

OK, Paul, now get to work ..... you gotta get those "WashTub Bass" and "Croatian Klezmer Bass" Forums activated :p . Now please don't get down on me you tubber and klezmatic types .... I like it all ;) .

P.S. Paul, when you get a chance, could you move the 3 topics now residing in "RockaBilly" forum entitled "Some Bass Humor" and "walk help" and "Ribbon VS Condensor Mics" to this Bluegrass forum. I'm pretty sure that they would fit better here. Thanks :) !

13. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Ya gotta understand Ed - I'm insulted when he DOESN"T poke fun...

14. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    This is very good.

Rockabilly is a very different approach to playing than Bluegrass. Very different than Jazz, Classical, and god forbid Rock and Roll.

Although there is crossover from topic to topic across most styles of music, having a separate place for those who do specifically different things to discuss their particular thing is useful.

It sidesteps the inevitable classism that can creep into discussions by those that don't respect one style as much as another. It allows those that desire it the opportunity to participate fully without having to deflect the criticism levied at the genre as a whole.

I respect Roy Husky and Lee Rocker as much as my classical hero Columbus Symphony Principal Mark Morton and my beloved Ray Brown. They all do/did different things that require different concentrations but each have dedicated themselves fully to their approach. By interacting with those that have followed in their footsteps I can improve my own playing, incorporating the specific components of their study into my own and thus develop my own style fully.

I have much to learn from them all.

15. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Paul, thanks for noticing and for being aware enough to cut us from the herd. :)

16. Several people (both here & over at the "other" place) have been PDQ to jump to Ed's defense - "oh, that's just Ed being Ed" . . . Sorry - but, that just doesn't float for me . . . "we" don't know Ed & have no history with his unique sense of humor (?) ; therefore, taken at face value, his comment was at best counter-productive & disrespectful to paul's efforts . . . and . . . at worst offensive as well as reflective of the perceived attitude of superiority by some from other genres here at this site . . . sure didn't make me feel all warm & fuzzy when I first read it & oh, btw, it still doesn't.

Thanks, Paul - nice try, anyway . . . your efforts are commendable & appreciated. You know what they say, "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions" . . . & . . . I, for one, hope that it's not all for naught.

17. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Fact is I have been stereotyped so many times in my 55 years on this planet I finally got sick of it and do tend to get real defensive at times. Yeah, I've got a real cool Appalachian American accent I've been workin' on all these years as well, and if someone thinks I'm a dumba$$ on account of the way I talk I really pour it on then........:D:cool: . I'm tickled to see this bluegrass forum. Thanks a bushel!!

18. skidude

skidude

Aug 15, 2007
    Leland, NC
    lmao--now that's funny :D

you're fellow grasser

19. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Me too. I hope we can all remember that there's a wide diversity of backgrounds and personalities in our genre of music - and especially in the bass-playing community. I'm as defensive about my Appalachian heritiage (mixed with midwestern Yankee) as anyone. At the same time, crusty old Northeastern jazzin' city boys like Ed have spent a whole lot of time on this forum educating newbies - as I was a few short years ago. That's a contribution I'm grateful for.

I can take a little ribbing - and give it back, too. I, too, feel that BluegrassBassPlace.com is "home" to us bluegrassers. But I think it benefits our community to participate in the wider bassist world rather than withdrawing to our own sanctuary. We can't contribute if we ain't here...:)

20. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I think it's cool that we've now got fishin' gear ads on TalkBass.