Question for you tech heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by syciprider, Jun 21, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Preamp/EQ stages:

What are the pros and cons of having them @

a) On the amp (regular EQ knobs)
    b) On the bass (active electronics)
    c) Between the bass and the amp (pedals)
    d) An outside loop from the amp (which I think bypasses the amp's tone controls so I guess it doesn't matter)

Now I understand that it all boils down to how it sounds to me but I am sure there is a bedrock so to speak of acceptable practices.

If I have a preamp/EQ somewhere between ax and amp, what is the accepted setting of the EQ knobs on the amp?

Why should I even have a extra EQ stage despite an active bass and amp EQ?

2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    step 1: play with all settings flat long enough that you are positive you've explored every tonal option your fingers can give you.

step 2: evaluate what (eq) you think you're missing, make sure you actually need it.

step 3: find the simplest, most direct method of accomplishing that goal. Simpler is 99% of the time better, unless the sound in your head cannot be accomplished without a complicated rig.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What vanselus said. The only complicating factor would be room acoustics, in which case the following principle might apply: "better to have EQ and not need it than to need it and not have it".
  4. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’d say a fundamental concept is to minimize the number of tone shaping stages in the signal path. Most everything you insert in the signal chain will have some adverse effect such unwanted distortion or noise. Plus, excessive frequency response manipulation has a way of making things sound unmusical. If you can get your sound with the EQ on your bass and amp, then I wouldn’t add anything else just for more flexibility.

I do like a parametric EQ to deal with room problems, but I’m not using one at this point. There are only a few rooms I play that really need aggressive compensation, and I’ve found that careful cab placement and a few tweaks with the limited EQ on my amp gets it good enough.

- John
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I like to keep eq simple. I only have it on my amp but if I had it on my basses too I would only use one or the other. Cant say which would be better though. I will echo others and say keep it simple.