Question: Keeley Seafoam Chorus+

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikeguyfriend, May 1, 2020.

1. mikeguyfriend

mikeguyfriend

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeast
    Hey friends,

Just got this pedal and it sounds phenomenal. Anybody else have one?
    Here I am playing it in this video:

That is with pretty light effects on. It can get much richer if you want it to.

My question is about "bass mode". The pedal offers a guitar and bass mode. It comes standard in guitar mode, and I'd like to switch it to bass.
    But it isn't just a simple switch. I need to unscrew the back and tinker around with it inside to adjust. It sounds fairly simple, but I am a bit nervous to do it (I don't want to mess the pedal up in any way). Does anyone have any advice for doing pedal surgery?
    Thanks for your help!

Mike

2. realmacaroni

realmacaroni

Dec 28, 2019
    Pgh PA
    Don’t sweat it, this sort of thing is really elementary. Undo four screws. I would imagine it’s just the flip of a tiny dipswitch or two, use the end of a small flathead screw driver to do that if need be. The manual probably has very clear instructions or a diagram for setting switches.

if ur really still nervous, contact Keeley, they’re good people, u’ll get help...

3. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I have one. Super simple to flip the bass mode on. Makes it a little more lush, and bass friendly. I tgrow it after my reverbs to add some ambient space to the trails. Also works great on its own for a little extra to your bass tone.

4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Super simple. Try it. Don't be afraid. U can't screw it up. Seriously. I did it!!!! And I shouldn't be trusted with tools lol

5. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Question for you Seafoam+ users- Is there any kind of volume drop when the pedal is engaged? I just got an Ampeg Liquifier, and the sound is fantastic, but the volume drop is pretty drastic. I really wanted an analog chorus, but that Keeley Seafoam+ sounds exactly like a chorus pedal should sound!

@mikeguyfriend - Nice playing!:thumbsup:

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Have you tried putting another pedal after it?
    I have an MXR Phase 90 'Script' version, and I get a noticeable volume if it's the last pedal in the chain, but there is no volume drop if I put another pedal after it. Try it, maybe it'll solve your problem.

pbass6811 likes this.
  7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I'll give this a shot, but it doesn't really help my situation. I generally run all my modulation thru my amp's fx loop. If I run it there, which is where I prefer to run it, there's no volume drop and it sounds great, but it is, literally, one of the noisiest pedals I've ever had. If I move it to the "straight in" part of my board, there's no noise, but that crazy volume drop. I had read that in another thread. I'd hoped that guy got a bad one or was doing something wrong. Turns out he was dead on. I will experiment with another pedal behind it, just to see what happens, but I'm 99% sure the Ampeg is going back. Thanks for the tip!

I just gotta find a Keeley, because Sweetwater is, of course, out of stock atm...

8. mikeguyfriend

mikeguyfriend

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeast
    Thank you for the kind words!
    I have not noticed any kind of volume drop when I engage the pedal. Sounds great!

pbass6811 likes this.
  9. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    I'm on a continuous hunt for the perfect chorus and found that this Seafoam Plus is really great sounding. I opened it and put it into bass mode for the first week, which has 3 alternate modes including a flanger. Two nights ago I reverted it back to the default (guitar?) mode and right now i think i prefer it vs the bass mode. Not a huge difference in tone, just the functionality, one setting has a reverb that you can add to your chorus voicing. Just a little goes a long way. The quality is great, and to the OP, it's super easy, other than the philips head screwdriver to open the thing, you can flip the small switch with your finger.

Going to try Vintage mode next, does anyone have experience with that?

10. mikeguyfriend

mikeguyfriend

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeast
    I think I prefer the guitar(?) mode as well!I did switch to the bass mode, which is great too, but the guitar mode features suite my playing a bit better (and it all sounds great through bass...they may want to reconsider how they label these).
    Did you try vintage mode? Curious how that sounds

11. Keeley Service

Keeley Service Commercial User

Jun 22, 2020
    Keeley Electronics INC
    Hi all thanks for the kind words with this pedal. I am a little late to the convo here but setting it to bass mode will change the eq freqs and make it more bass friendly. It is super easy, pop the back plate off and you will see two little switches. Flip them to the corresponding direction in the user manual then pop the back plate back on. If you mess it up, break and switch or anything happens out of the ordinary feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will get you back up and running and set in which ever mode you prefer before sending it back.

Sean

Jason Hollar and StevieMac like this.
  12. Stubbrnmule

Stubbrnmule Gold Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Seabeck Washington
    I just got this pedal today, and did a quick try out. I am amazed already at how awesome the sound of this chorus is. Have tried and used a lot of different chorus pedals over the years, for guitar and woodwinds as well as now primarily bass. This is simply an amazing, lush and beautiful sounding pedal. I never say words (anymore) like this is the last (name the effect here) pedal I will buy because I seem to always be on the lookout for new things, but I definitely don't see this going anywhere. Thanks Keeley!

Keeley Service likes this.
  13. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Bumping this to learn more about this pedal.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021